Innovative Marine Aquariums

Torches not extending

Coinee

I have three torches I bought between May 17-19th and none of them have extended much at all! They seem healthy, they never retract, there is nothing in my tank to irritate them besides snails but the snails usually stay on the glass.  They behave no differently before or after water changes. My water changes are every week or two and usually between 50-75%. My tests are usually 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and about 5-10 ppm of nitrates. My salt is Red Sea Coral Pro. 

I had lower flow before so I increased my flow recently and still nothing.

All the other euphyllia and corals in my tank extend and look great and happy but these ones not at all. Do they just need an extraordinarily long period to adjust?  I have looked online but I'm running out of ideas and things to try haha. Some pics below:

IMG_20190612_205321_84-01.thumb.jpeg.f16ddf28f6b2964a875f6da27686e8e7.jpegIMG_20190612_205329_91-01.thumb.jpeg.c2042ef12a0fbd370ba49bae78f2e9b1.jpegIMG_20190612_205326_56-01.thumb.jpeg.1d008de6663952cfd9aaacd9ba0bcdf5.jpeg

2 hours ago, seabass said:

You tried increasing the flow, what about decreasing it?  Have you tried feeding them a couple of mysis?

The flow they had before was barely anything, to the point they were essentially still most of the time. Then I upped it a little bit more, then upped it again to what it is now. All this over the past few weeks and nothing really has changed. 

I never tried feeding any corals yet, but I am probably going to buy some food tomorrow and start feeding them, I'd like to see more growth in my tank. 

2 hours ago, Coinee said:

I am probably going to buy some food tomorrow and start feeding them

Start with just a small amount, maybe one or two times a week.

5 minutes ago, seabass said:

Start with just a small amount, maybe one or two times a week.

The plan is to feed about once a week and then do a water change a couple hours later that day because I don't want to foul up my tank too quickly. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

What kind of lighting are you running?

Asta 20. But since I just graduated, I'm going to change over to an AI Prime HD once I get a job and get paid.  Spending my money on reef stuff before I even have money in my hand...oh god lol

There are torches that have much shorter polyps compared to the Indo torches we are used to seeing in the hobby. If other hammers and frogs are happy I wouldn’t go around changing a bunch of stuff right away, feed them once a week like you said and see what happens. Hope this helps

• Like 1

+1 above

They look like heads fragged from the bottom of the colony where they were not getting much light. They also look like a short variety. 

Above my yellow hammer is my shortie torch, it seems to play nice with other euphyllia unlike the long ones.

2019-05-27_10-31-01