SaltCritters.com

Purigen and pH alk drop

Neb

Has anyone else experienced a significant pH and alkalinity drop after adding purigen? Added it yesterday and my alk has dropped to 9.2 from 11.6 and pH has gone down from 8.3 to 7.7.
Any reason for concerns? Will it go back up on its own or I will have to do a large water change? Leaving on a holiday for a week and the person in charge does not have the skills to do a water change... Worried af it might go even lower but I don't trust roommate who was the only person not afraid to try and take care of my tank.

From what I've read, it shouldn't.  Not really sure what's going on.  However, it's risky to add or change things prior to leaving for a week.

I would probably remove it (at least until I got back).  Then I'd do a water change.  You're right, I wouldn't trust others to do a water change (plus, it's a fairly big ask).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

From what I've read, it shouldn't.  Not really sure what's going on.  However, it's risky to add or change things prior to leaving for a week.

I would probably remove it (at least until I got back).  Then I'd do a water change.  You're right, I wouldn't trust others to do a water change (plus, it's a fairly big ask).

Hey, thanks for the reply. 

I have removed it right after posting and today my pH was 8.3 and alk 11.6 which is the regular reading.. I did read on seachem forum that it shouldn't alter pH but it seems it did.. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...