ReefCleaners.org

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

ajkochev

Yeah I know, another salt post.  

Is anyone using this salt and what are your experiences?  Been using this since I started my tank a year ago and I just haven't been to happy with how the tank looks, I'm hearing the Alk is way to high.  Thinking of switching to something else.

Yes, the alk is high on that salt and reef crystals. It can work for some tanks but not all tanks do well with a high alk.

I use the red sea blue bucket version on my SPS tank because the alk is lower and it is the most consistent salt I have found.

On my LPS/Softy tank I use Live Aquaria salt, it mixed quick and clear and is cheap. Fritz salt is similar. 

Nothing wrong with just Instant Ocean salt, I just don't like salt that leaves a residue in the bucket that I have to clean. 

• Like 1

I used it. Liked everything about besides the very high alk. My tanks have done better using salts within the more common levels.

I have the same experience with Blue Bucket, very consistent and everything has been happier since.

I use Coral Pro, but I feel like I get a small Alk spike every time I do a water change. Everything else about it is just fine though. It mixes cleanly and leaves no residue in the mixing bucket. It also has so much Mg in it that I don't even need to dose in order to keep my levels up.

That being said, I'm thinking about switching over to blue bucket at some point, since it just seems to get generally better reviews.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/5/2019 at 4:32 PM, ajkochev said:

Is anyone using this salt and what are your experiences?  Been using this since I started my tank a year ago and I just haven't been to happy with how the tank looks, I'm hearing the Alk is way to high.  Thinking of switching to something else.

Lots of folks use that without issues.  Salt mix would have little or nothing to do with how the tank looks anyway...so I wouldn't worry about the salt.  Just keep digging to find your issue.

The "high alk" issue, if you mean regarding your corals, is something that was invented in recent times.  It is not a real issue unto itself as far as I'm concerned.  A red herring.  So as I said: keep looking for the root cause.

If you're interested in digging further, what are your tank parameters like?   Big 5 please.....ca, alk, mg, no3, po4

How are you filtering the tank and how old is it?

Could you post a full tank picture?

On 6/5/2019 at 1:32 PM, ajkochev said:

Been using it for years. I keep my alk at 7.5-8.5 and what helps from spiking to high in one shot is I do small water changes, so try that if that's what your concern is. A couple of other reasons is it mixes clean and I can use it right away after mixing and is actually recommended to use within 4 hrs.

But just like mccaroll said, your salt choice doesn't really make a difference, many successful tanks using different salts.

• Like 1

So my opinion of this salt has changed in the couple of months since I posted.  It wasn't the salt it was low nutrients and a couple of other things.  As soon as I started feeding the tank more and made a few other changes things started to improve.  I'm getting good growth on my SPS now.  Really enjoying the tank and seeing the growth.

• Thanks 1