ReefCleaners.org

Life after cupramine?

Qball77

So I’ve had my new fish in a QT for 2 weeks. First week was just a watch period. I then started dosing cupramine as per the directions. I’ve maintained a copper level of .25-.5 for about a week now and am going to continue the copper levels for another 3 weeks. My question is....after 3 weeks, what do I do? Can I put the fish directly into my DT? Should I dip them in new “uncoppered “ tank water then into the DT? I can’t find any info online as to what happens after treatment. Any thoughts?

Humblefish

I would raise the Cu level to at least 0.5ppm, hold it there for 4 weeks and then run Cuprisorb (or do water changes) to pull all the copper out. Observe in non-medicated water for at least 2 weeks before placing the fish in your aquarium.

The reason you want to ramp it up to 0.5 (and hold it there) is there is more anecdotal evidence of "copper resistant" ich & velvet circulating. I'm not saying these accounts are necessarily accurate, but it is worth playing it safe just in case.