Top Shelf Aquatics

clown attacking firefish

nano15

Hi nano-reefers:

I have got a 15 gallon nano with little LR and corals. Mainly a fish only tank. The water chemistry should be fine with Nitrate at 20 and everything else at 0.

I have false 2 perculas, 1 orange and 1 black. They were in the tank since cycling (3-4 months). I have added different fishes to the tank but most of them end up dying in 3-4 days. I found out the black percula starts to harass any fish after the first day they enter the tank. My blue royal tang and 2 firefish are all being harassed.

The main question is that, I have added a new firefish (orange one) and it was swimming happily with the 2 perculas on the first day. when I wake up the second day, whenever the firefish comes out, the black percula just starts to chase and bite its tail, of course the tail's fin is a bit damaged now. I am afraid that the firefish is going be to killed again. What should I do? Any advise will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

I thought a 15 gallon can have 3 fish with so little live rock. But the black percula was not attacking anymore today though ... I will not add more. Just hope the firefish can survive.

Thanks for your advise.

Keep a close eye on your clown, if it bothers the firefish again, you're going to have to take the firefish out, and not "just hope the firefish can survive." :|

The clowns are not bothering the firefish anymore. And the firefish is coming out more often. But I think the problem is that the hermit crabs are bothering it. They are eating the firefish's tail now. Half of it is gone. Have you heard of this before? I saw a hermit crab attach the firefish. They are red legged hermit but quite some though.

• 2 weeks later...

Red legged hermits are the most docile of all the hermits,IMO. However they are opportunistic scavengers. If it is eating your firefish, it is thinking of it as carrion. It is kind of like if you said that Tiger that has been attacking the antelope doesn't seem to be picking on it anymore, but now the vulchers are bothering it.

Archived