Top Shelf Aquatics

Are zeolites good for my system?

Rhys

I’m working on setting up a 30g Red Sea reefer 170, and heavily stocking it with NPS corals. I found zeolites and the idea of a media that eliminates ammonia is extremely appealing. Would running a large zeolite reactor with large amounts of bio media be enough to lower nitrates and phosphates in my system? I plan to have a dosing pump feeding on an hourly basis, so I definitely need to have strong filtration. The thought of a skimmer on an NPS system doesn’t appeal to me, and I feel as though it’s just a waste of food. 

tanacharison

They remind me of a nuclear reactor...when working correctly they are a super power of nutrient consumption when they fail it's a disaster. Personally if you can remove 90-95% of uneaten foods with mechanical filter and skimmer you should be good. Bare bottom and higher flow helps. Or just do a lot of waterchanges. 

55 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

They remind me of a nuclear reactor...when working correctly they are a super power of nutrient consumption when they fail it's a disaster. Personally if you can remove 90-95% of uneaten foods with mechanical filter and skimmer you should be good. Bare bottom and higher flow helps. Or just do a lot of waterchanges. 

I would agree with that, but skimming also seems extremely redundant in a system where ill put several ML of food in my tank a day. I’ll have to keep reading and planning lol