Coral Vue Hydros

Replacement pump for Waterbox 10

brett559

Anyone have any good recommendations for a replacement pump for a Waterbox 10? 

Or do I even need one?  Are stock pumps good?  I had an IM Nuvo a while back and that stock pump was terrible!  

I assume you currently have the Waterbox 10?  

While I have never used that tank, my thought process for you would be to assess if you liked/were ok with the level of flow.  If yes, then look for one with similar rating/GPH speaking.  

It would never hurt however, to consider a pump that has a higher potential GDP rating.  That way you have you some options/flexibility flow wise.  Keep in mind though with overflow/false wall setups, there is a natural limit so if you crank up the flow too much you'll create micro bubbles and or strain the pump by running it less than completely wet.  

You could always add some longer/deeper/wider teeth and or create an additional "inlet" of some fashion to get back back to filtration portion, but that might be more than you want to do.  

Good luck!

• Like 1

I replaced the stock pump with a Cobalt MJ Mini 606. Fits perfectly, but I am only able to run it at about half flow or it pulls too much water out of the back chambers as Superdave said above. But it still provides a noticeably stronger flow than the stock pump, and at under $30, is a cheap upgrade.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Newstead said:

I replaced the stock pump with a Cobalt MJ Mini 606. Fits perfectly, but I am only able to run it at about half flow or it pulls too much water out of the back chambers as Superdave said above. But it still provides a noticeably stronger flow than the stock pump, and at under $30, is a cheap upgrade.

didn't realize minijet fits.  that is an awesome pump--used one (for flow) for years and it is still great.  

• Like 1