Pod Your Reef

Mel's IM 25g kitchen lagoon

Melfy77

20 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

Looks very clean BB. 

I have black sand in my IM10 but want to go BB..

Do it😁 My IM 10 was BB and I loved it. I think the black mat under the tanks helps. Otherwise I'd be seeing a kitchen counter lol

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Time for an update! Tank is 2 months old!

My IM wavelink came in and I love it so far!! Super quiet!!! It's the smallest model and it's running at 30% or so. With my 2 return pumps, flow is good. No dead spots. 

I also got a hammer frag yesterday. Seems to like its spot. Other corals are doing fine. One of the leathers is shedding so it's being a little moody lol. My duncan coral grew 5 heads in 2 weeks haha. I love that coral! The carpenter's wrasse is doing great 🙂

Ph 8.2

NO3 2ppm

PO4 0.00 ppm

Specific gravity 1.025

I don't test anything else

Equipment

Lighting: Ai prime

Return pumps: 1 Aqueon 1200 and 1 stock pump

Wavemaker: IM desktop wavelink

Skimmer: eshopps nano skimmer

Heater: Fluval 75W

20190705_170238.jpg

20190705_170202.jpg

20190705_170259.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Tank is now fallow.. thank you ich!!! 🤨

No idea what I'm gonna put in that tank next.. considering we have no access to meds I can only do TTM or hypo for ich. Anything else is a lost cause.

I'm gonna let that tank mature for a while. Will add some corals and inverts though. I added pods to the tank. I saw a tiny stomatella snail this morning and some asterina stars. My nassarius snails spawned again hehe. Free coral food!!! 

However having no fish in the tank means very few nutrients...I feed my Duncan coral everyday and my CUC get some food too. NO3 are at 2.5 with undetectable PO4

I also started testing Alk: it's been at 7.6-7.7 for the last 5 days, which makes sense since there's not that many corals.

Debating getting some easy and colorful sps frags, LPS like torch, hammer and frogspawn are getting really expensive 😞

Bubble tip anemones are also nice, but the "going for a walk" part annoys me lol.

Any suggestions?😁 

On a different matter, I figured out this morning why my kids were harrassed by wasps, ending in my youngest getting stung while playing in their little wooden house...yup a wasp nest...in a bird's house. How nice lol. Got someone coming this afternoon to get rid of it

Thankfully it's still pretty small, about the size of a grapefruit.

20190715_111107.jpg

20190715_111013.jpg

20190715_111003.jpg

20190715_110351.jpg

20190715_111050.jpg

20190715_111033.jpg

20190715_111024.jpg

20190715_111020(0).jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Nothing much going on...my Duncan has grown new heads. Got this frag 1 1/2 month ago and it had 2 heads...now there's at least 12 lol. Hammer seems ok too. 

20190808_155316.jpg

20190808_155310.jpg

20190808_155301.jpg

20190808_155329.jpg

20190808_155249.jpg

• Wow 1
  • 1 month later...
lilmatty5dimes

Tank looks great. Love the aquascape. I found a great deal on one of these last week and setting it up here soon. How do you like the prime over this tank? Was thinking of getting the 26hd. 

• 8 months later...

Well haven't updated in...well forever lol. Tank is still going, had some ups and downs. Between work, school, raising my kids (or at least trying to lol), growing a human being and Covid-19, things have been a little crazy around here lol. First, the tank is not BB anymore, since I am the happy owner of a pair of YWG and their pistol shrimp. Actually some parts of the tank are BB because of that shrimp haha. Also, I've learned that no matter what I do, I CANNOT keep LPS alive. Seriously, I've tried so many different kinds, including hammer and torch corals, all failed. Between testing and dosing Alk and Ca, only to see the failure, I just accepted it. And actually it did me good! Turns out soft corals are my favorite, so many different kinds, no need to worry with dosing, just waterchanges. They are growing so clearly I must be doing something right lol.

I had a wavelink in the tank but my corals didn't like it, couldn't get good polyp extension so I got rid of it. I'm only using my return pump. I still get decent flow and corals are much happier. I can always put it back later on if I need it. Still running my AI prime HD, part of me wants to get a 2nd one haha.

Fish are doing good. I have 5 in there, so bioload is maxed out, nitrates are staying between 5-10 ppm. Phosphates I don't know. I have 1 ocellaris clownfish, 1 chromis, 1 flametail blenny and my pair of yellow watchman gobies. The clownfish and chromis are still small, and so far are best buddies, swimming together. I've had many clownfish in the pst, all of them in pairs, and now realize they swim a lot more when not in pair.

Corals:

2 toadstools

Xenia (frag)

Papaya cloves and some other kind I don't remember (not the blue one)

Rhodactis

Finger leather

Daisy coral (frag)

Zoas

Colt coral (frag)

Planning to add more, but for some reason besides Zoas options are limited for softies...

I'm getting 2 RFAs and some gorgonian tonight!!

I'm still debating getting a BTA but am worried about the ''going for a walk'' part and splitting, so I'll pass.

Inverts

Astrea snails

Blue legged hermit crabs

1 bg and very fat hermit crab

Some chitons

Cleaner shrimp

Pics are not great, basic cellphone lol.

20200604_133225.jpg

20200604_133103.jpg

20200604_133040.jpg

20200604_133158.jpg

• Like 2

RFA and gorgonian are in the tank. Of course the RFA moved so they are harder to see lol. Gorgonian has good polyp extension and looks happy. I ended up putting the wavemaker back in the tank, at minimum speed. Corals seem happy.

On the other hand, Mr cutie clownfish is now Mr. meanie clownfish, bitting my hand every chance it gets. I'm also concerned about bioload, so I've decided clownfish needs to  leave. I have a 10g and all the stuff I need to set up a nice little tank. I was just missing a light, didn't wanna get an expensive light but still wanted a light with the right spectrum. So I got the Aquaknight v2, which has pretty good review

https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Aqua-Knight-Nano-marine-LED-A029-V2.html

20200606_142005.jpg

20200606_141955.jpg

20200606_141950.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
cheesesteak

I love that pic of two gobies just hanging at the entrance to their lair. And that gorgonian is awesome!

Sorry to hear about the LPS. Everything else looks super healthy! 

On 5/12/2019 at 5:46 AM, Melfy77 said:

Yeah I wanted something different. So far I'm very happy with the look.

I have 2 ragdoll cats, brother and sister and they look very similar; can't tell if it's Max or Chloe lol. Although both ears look dark so I'd say Max 😉

Max is the one on the right, Chloe on the left. They're 8 months old and 10lbs already haha.

20190508_184119.jpg

We also have two ragdolls! They weigh in at 18lbs and 16lbs, big fluffy bois.

What's the adjustability like on the IM Wavelink?

13 hours ago, Break said:

We also have two ragdolls! They weigh in at 18lbs and 16lbs, big fluffy bois.

What's the adjustability like on the IM Wavelink?

Woah they are big!!! Mine are smaller, about 13 and 11 lbs. They were loosing sooooo much cat hair I just had them shaved. They seem fine with it, they're even more cuddly now, especially the male.

The wavelink is pretty good. You can angle it the way you want, unlike the MP. It's got some interesting modes, and super quiet. My only complain is that I find the flow a little narrow, would prefer something like the MP but for the price I can easily get over it!! 100$ vs 300$ lol

• Like 1
13 hours ago, cheesesteak said:

I love that pic of two gobies just hanging at the entrance to their lair. And that gorgonian is awesome!

Sorry to hear about the LPS. Everything else looks super healthy! 

I love my YWG!! They are the stars of the tank lol. I'm also really glad their burrow is right in the middle of the tank, you can see them no matter where you look. They survived an ich/velvet outbreak in my previous tank, never showed and sign of disease! I've had them for over a year. I would never do a reef tank without a goby/pistol shrimp combo, they are the coolest IMO 😉

My tank is now 100% softies!! I removed a piece of LR that was getting covered by cloves. Very invasive, will never get those polyps again lol. I put some marco dry rock instead.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Woah they are big!!! Mine are smaller, about 13 and 11 lbs. They were loosing sooooo much cat hair I just had them shaved. They seem fine with it, they're even more cuddly now, especially the male.

The wavelink is pretty good. You can angle it the way you want, unlike the MP. It's got some interesting modes, and super quiet. My only complain is that I find the flow a little narrow, would prefer something like the MP but for the price I can easily get over it!! 100$ vs 300$ lol

Either way, it's great to see lower cost alternatives to the VorTech - I love mine my MP10, but it took a year or two of saving up (and then justifying the purchase as "birthday gift" to the aquarium director aka my fiance).

I feel you on the fluff - I'll never need a jellyfish tank with all the fluff jellies flying around my apartment. Usually we're able to keep up on regular brushing which helps thin out the undercoat and keep thing manageable, but there have been times when Nigel (the larger of the two) was younger and his fur got dirty/matted playing, so he had to get a lion haircut. He flopped less since he had less cushion and the ground was cold, so yours being more cuddly makes sense!

Before and after: 

spacer.png

• Haha 1