Pod Your Reef

Automatic feeder

SingingSiren

SingingSiren

Going out of town for 5 days. Have a 16gal Biocube. Mostly fish 3 anemone’s some coral, shrimp etc. 

What is the best automatic feeder? Reliable, don’t care about money, just want a good one that will last. 

I've been using a cheap Petco branded drum feeder with spectrum pellets for years now with no issue. I've used it for as long as 16 days while I was across the country and all my fish were fed when I got home. I don't use it unless I'm gone for more than 3 nights, otherwise I just double feed for a day or two before and the fish will be fine.

The most reliable thing would be a friend with a key and a six pack in the fridge, but barring that, a simple drum feeder works great for easy to keep fish like clowns.

If you wanted you could make sure your fish and well fed before you leave and not bother with the auto feeder.  I always think anything up to a week is fine but that's just my experience and opinion.

Am seconding the Eheim recc above.  It offers a good set of "options" in terms of how much and how often you want to feed.  

That being said, I had a cheaper one before that I used for years and it was fine as well.  The dry feeder/rotating method is a fairly stable design.  Whatever you use, I would just test it several times and be sure to use brand new batteries.  

Not sure if dry food will really achieve the ideal feeding for all your inhabitants, but if they are used to that then great.  

Five days is not that long in the grand scheme of things.  Far more damage can be done by over-feeding that vice versa.