Coral Vue Hydros

Mantis shrimp tank progress

Mr_slinky_dragon

Mr_slinky_dragon

Just a quick topic regarding my tank set up 🙂

Substrate

10cm (4 inches) of coral sand and oolite gravel 

500ml (i only had an empty water bottle when i collected these) of crushed shell (mostly cockles and surf clams)

decor 

whelk shell

Cockle shells

Surf clam shells

An oyster shell 

A few pebbles

These i collected from a local beach and rinsed clean

Equipment:

Pumps:

Fluval 206 external filter with ceramic noodles and coral gravel media

Fluval u1 with no media, being used as an air pump/current provider

Lighting:

Fluval sky 21 watt led 

Heater

Not fluval, not sure the make but it works. Will be running at 26°C

Ill be putting about 4 or 5kg of live rock in when i fill it up 🙂

20190510_181429.jpg

• Like 4
Mr_slinky_dragon

Bit of a rearrange, i added a conch shell (all hail it!) That i got from a friend. I am planning on adding the live rock between the shell and the suspiciously spherical pebble i found on the right of the photo by the heater. 

20190513_135601.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Mr_slinky_dragon

Added the water 🙂 just need to verify the salinity as i made it up using mass.  2.794 kg of salt per 80 litres.

20190515_195051.jpg

• Like 2
Mr_slinky_dragon

I do know how to make a nice looking aquarium 😛 ill be adding more crushed shells soon as they got buried when i added the water sadly

Mr_slinky_dragon

Ive just noticed the rock has some hair algae, might have to get some snails to clean it up should it get too bad... plus they will help with the cycling so win win i guess 

Mr_slinky_dragon

Just added some more broken shells 🙂 also added some native seaweed species, i tested the salinity of where i collected them from, turns out to be the same as the tank! If they live they live, if they die they die...

20190518_191105.jpg

20190518_191146.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Justind823

Nice setup! I miss having a mantis.  I'm sure yours will be very happy in there.  Have you decided on a species yet?

• Like 2
Mr_slinky_dragon

Most likely gonodactylus, odontodactylus or pseudosquilla  

The overall look im going for with the tank is sort of rock pool/shallows. So lots of shells and pebbles together with seaweed and live rock. Not sure if i should add soft corals. Part of me wants to but im not sure if they would go with the theme... ive seen a lot of reef set ups where it is just a mess of different colours and it looks ugly. I know algae will grow on the shells but thats what i want (well at least from the ones i put in, the movement they provide really lifts a barren tank for the time being!)

• Like 1
Mr_slinky_dragon

Just found the name for the brown seaweed, Sargassum muticum, turns out it is not a uk native... it comes from japan and is quiet invasive (i do land plants from tiny islands... not sea plants :p)... looks like ill have to prune it occasionally. 

• Like 1
Mr_slinky_dragon

I have a Teeny tiny snail on the conch, a starfish and 5 tube worms

The snail is a hitch hiker i gained from the first lot of shells i collected and the starfish and worms from the rock

Taken with my bridge camera opposed to my phone.

DSCF3982.JPG

DSCF3969.JPG

• Like 1
Mr_slinky_dragon
2 hours ago, Northwoodsreefer said:

This is a cool setup, can’t wait to see the mantis shrimp!

Its got a long way to go first! I have to get more live rock first then i need to get the cleaner crew sorted (ive made a start) i should hopefully get the shrimp about november or december! Should it all go to plan

• Like 2
Mr_slinky_dragon

Quick update, the cycling is working, starting to get the brown/red cyanobacteria on the sand. Should i leave it or should i treat it? I do have some of that powder stuff that gets rid of the stuff.

Also my refractometer arrived and i can confirm that the salinity is 1.026, which is what my hydrometer said it was 🙂

• Like 1
Mr_slinky_dragon

I added some more tiny snails, some periwinkles(with a chiton hitch hiker) and a hermit crab (he needs a new shell) and they are starting to eat the cyano and hair algae.

Unfortunately the sarrasgum rotted off at the hold fast so i removed it.  

20190525_090704.jpg

20190525_090708.jpg

• Like 1
Mr_slinky_dragon

Found this cheeky little bugger on the rock, a green shore crab that came in on some seaweed. Seems quite happy munching on algae. Ill be removing it when it gets bigger though.

Sorry for the crappy photo

20190527_091552.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for posting. Mantis Shrimps are pretty cool creatures, despite their bad reputation. Where are you planning on getting your mantis? Most of my LFS don't carry them.

• Like 1
Mr_slinky_dragon

I have a few places in mind, just been to a semi local one to grab some more rock (pics to follow) and they can get them from the wholesales 🙂

• Like 1
Mr_slinky_dragon

Done a re arrange and Added some more live rock, 5kg more that takes it up to about 6kg. Its artificial but sea grown  the guy who i brought it from was rather impressed by it (it looks a lot better than that real reef rock), its uncured but didnt smell bad (just like a damp cellar) so i am expecting a spike of nitrites as a result. 

Im not sure what else to add decor wise, maybe some more seaweed to fill in the gaps, ive seen a few red ones that i like 🙂

When the water is more stable i might get a few soft corals or an anemone donno though

DSCF4003.JPG

• Like 1

Just curious, but why are you running a deep sand bed if you're planning on a "smasher" mantis shrimp? 

What tank is this?  Any idea what size it is?  

Recently ordered a mantis shrimp so I'll definitely tag along to watch this progress. 

• Like 1
Mr_slinky_dragon

Im running a deep sand bed because i may get a spearer, smashers will still burrow though. I still dont know what species i want yet. Plus it will help with the nutrient cycles. 

The size is 100l, however due to water displacement from the sand its actually 80l

• Like 2