Pod Your Reef

Semi-aggressive stocking?

liquid_wind

liquid_wind

So I have a 20 gallon FOWLR tank that's in a public office. There's a lot of movement in the area, and a lot of fish I've had in there tend to run off and hide with the public going in and out (and I think my receptionist is sick of telling people that there are actually fish in there, they just hide from them). I've had some issues lately, so will just have a firefish in there for a month or so, but am thinking of how to stock it afterwards. I'm going for color and movement really, probably like four fish. It seems like any fish that is more active tends to sometimes be a bit more of a jerk, so was wondering if it may be best to just stick with hardy fish that aren't push-overs. The firefish which is current;y the only inhabitant, will likely need to go to my tank at home. I was looking at Possum Wrasses, but seems like they can hide a lot as well. I'm thinking clown, Royal Gramma, sixline, and maybe a damsel. I was going to get a Springer's damsel to be more peaceful (but the only LFS I have available has been looking 1.5 months and still nada), so am thinking with the newer plan maybe go yellowtail or Azure since they may get along with a tougher group better? Perhaps a hawkfish, wouldn't be moving, but at least visible. Not sure it acn deal with bullies though, or a pygmy angel?

Any possibility of upgrading to a 40 breeder?  Seems like it might be a better fit for your proposed stocking.

liquid_wind

Unfortunately not, small office and the twenty is already pushing it space-wise. I suppose what's coming next is the fact that I should stick to three fish, since I'm looking for what would be more active anyways.

It might not help all that much, but Aqueon makes a 30 gallon extra high with the same length and width dimensions ( 24.25" x 12.5" x 24.75").  With it not being a reef tank, that's a possible upgrade.

• Like 1
liquid_wind

Huh, I had no idea, I think I'll probably still stick with this for the time being though, already put enough towards it for a while.

liquid_wind

There is no sump or skimmer, if it was a small skimmer that could be hung on is the only thing I may have the space for. I can get a photo later, it's like 20 lbs of LR in an arch and some artificial corals, a HOB and powerhead. The firefish hides quite a bit and I feel like a blenny would too ya? I've only ever has a tail spot, I loved him, but passing by people likely wouldn't get a glimpse of the personality I feel like.

• Like 1

Clown fish are really sociable and colorful. Dont get a possum they are shy. Royal Gramma is a good option but may start trouble with the firefish?. and maybe get a cleaner shrimp too, theyre not as shy compared to a fire shrimp and colorful and interesting enough to look at. If you want real active swimmers get some green chromis.

Remember, this is the size of a 15 gallon tank (just taller).

Clownfish can be sociable; but can also find a corner to hang out in, and not swim around a whole lot.  A chromis is a good choice, but multiples usually dwindle down to one in a small tank.  A blenny is a decent choice, although not much of a swimmer.

Actually , a cherub angelfish might not be a bad idea for a FOWLR (especially if you have some algae for it to graze on).  They can hold their own with an semi-aggressive tank mate.  Maybe put it with a Fridman's dottyback, for a colorful display.  You might be able to add a third fish, like a clownfish.

Again, I'd prefer a larger tank for most of these choices.  If it were me, if keep a pair of clownfish and a goby in a 20 high.  Possibly also a royal gramma.  IDK, maybe even the firefish might even work in such a tank.

• Like 1
liquid_wind

Thanks for the input guys! I'm going to get an ocellaris clownfish no matter I think. Will likely take the firefish to my ten gallon at home and add a royal gramma and sixline/cherub angel/some blue damsel. Would like to get some shrimp in there, but getting any inverts in Hawai'i has to be black market, so can be tricky.

It does not need to be semi-aggressive to have fish out in the open. Many captive bred fish are not shy. Can you get ORA fish there or no?

For Semi-aggressive:

2x Clowns

Damsel (talbot, starkii, springers)

Royal Gramma

This is what I have in my 22g Long and no hiders, ofc they will hide when new but once they are established and people = food, they swarm when they see me coming.

For peaceful (all available as captive bred):

2x Clowns

Neon goby

Canary Blenny/Striped Blenny/Forktail Blenny, ect

White Spotted Pygmy Filefish

My white spotteds are super curious and swam right up to the front of the tank day one. My fang is wild caught but not really shy. I would assume a captive bred one would be even better, they are swimmers, not perchers. 

The only downside to semi aggressive is I have had my royal gramma beat the living snot out of damsels or my clowns beat the snot out of dottybacks, ect. You just never know... as the fish get older they get meaner. I have had to swap a few around, they started getting really snotty after about a year or so.

• Like 1
liquid_wind

If you guys were to rank Ocellairis clown, royal gramma, pygmy angel, yellowtail/azure/starki damsel, and sixline in order of aggressiveness to figure a stocking order, how would you guys rank them? Not that I would get all obviously, just what's in the running.

Also are there other wrasses that would work? A flasher wrasse would fit the bill I think, it says only 3" in size, but people seem to recommend larger tanks for them. Why is that?

Edited by liquid_wind
I keep altering the list of options
2 hours ago, liquid_wind said:

Also are there other wrasses that would work?

A pink streaked wrasse, and it's less aggressive than a sixline.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, liquid_wind said:

If you guys were to rank Ocellairis clown, royal gramma, pygmy angel, yellowtail/azure/starki damsel, and sixline in order of aggressiveness to figure a stocking order, how would you guys rank them? Not that I would get all obviously, just what's in the running.

Also are there other wrasses that would work? A flasher wrasse would fit the bill I think, it says only 3" in size, but people seem to recommend larger tanks for them. Why is that?

Most aggressive to least:

Sixline/Pygmy - toss up...both these fish can be fine for awhile or they can turn into killers

Azure/yellowtail

Gramma - I have had shy ones and I have had ones that kill damsels

Starkii - as large as these guys can be...they seem to moslty be bark instead of bite

Clowns (if juvies...adults can be asshats...spawning clownfish can be murderous)

The older the fish the meaner they get so juvies tend to be good for a year or two and then you wake up one day and you are like God damn it.... When one is tearing up the other.

It is because flashers are active swimmers. A small one like a Mccoskers can work in a 20 long or 30g.

• Like 1

Here is what I tried in my 22g:

Clowns - had them several years...mamma clown nippy to damsels

Orchid dotty - fine for a year then...started beating on starkii

Small Starkii - gets beat up by everyone.

Midas - would grab the clowns and toss them - I traded the Midas for a sixline

Sixline - added last...never bothered anyone but only had her maybe 6 months - I would catch and QT sixline everytime I swapped fish

Traded Orchid for Gramma - Gramma started also beating on starkii after a few months

Sold sixline....ticking time bomb made me nervous...if something killed my clowns I would be so pissed. They do have a nem to hide in though. 

Traded small starkii for large starkii...biggest fish in tank by a fair margin...so far no one messes with her and she does her own thing. 

Got another Midas...too early to tell how mean this one will be.

The idea is to have fish that can hold their own but doesn't always happen. 

My peaceful tank is honestly a bunch of bullies too. Lol ..the only nice fish I have are my tiny combtooth blennies and tiny shrimp gobies.

Maybe I just need a bigger tank...like 120g 🤔

• Like 1