ReefCleaners.org

Kessil LEDs Dying?

scrappy34

scrappy34

Hello, I recently noticed that my Kessil a360we wasn't looking normal & come to find out I think some LEDs are burning out. I bought it used for a fair price, (& bluefish controller) but I've only had it roughly 8 months now. Not sure if I should replace it ASAP, and idk if I want to spend the money for a new one at this time. Any advice? I was looking at an AI prime HD but it's a lot less powerful than the Kessil I have. 

My tank is a IM 25g Lagoon

IMG_20190426_110338.jpg

Superdave

Not sure if this is an option, but call and see what manufacturer says.  Maybe they will warranty it? Never hurts to ask.  

Fewer LEDS=less light so while it wont hurt anything your corals will miss out, compared to what they had before.  Maybe you could sell it as is to someone who wants parts or to tinker with it?  

MainelyReefer

Kessil customer service was great when I made a claim on my 2 week old light when it just died fully.  It was entirely free and I got my new light in under a week(had to leave a CC on file Incase I flaked on them but it was the fastest option)  In your case since it’s used I bet you would pay shipping and handling, then they would tell you cost to repair, then you pay to ship it back wether you fix it or not.  Worth calling anyways but I wouldn’t do the latter option and wouldn’t buy a used light in the future.  Perhaps confirm it’s not a fire hazard and run it as is

• 2 months later...
On 5/9/2019 at 8:09 PM, scrappy34 said:

Could this be why my zoa's are looking bad recently? Params have been stable and other corals look good.

Anything is possible I guess, but Zoa's are some of the most finicky of corals.  IMO there could be (and usually is) no reason at all for it.

What are your parameters like?  (big 5 plz:  ca, alk, mg, no3, po4)   How old is the tank?  What else do you have living in there, including cleanup crew?  How is the tank filtered/cleaned?

It could just be the coincidence, but I don't think I see any algae (good or bad) nor any cleanup crew in the photo.

Could you post a full tank shot with daylights on?  (Or use a flash on the camera.)

P.S.  I definitely think it's worth a call/email to Kessil about the light.  If they can't help with a direct replacement, maybe ask if they can do anything to service this one for a fee?  I don't know the likelihood, but if so, it would probably be worthwhile to take them up on whatever they can offer.

P.P.S.  At the same time, you're lighting a smallish tank, so loss of a small number of LED's may not impact performance significantly...even if it's not ideal.  It's not "broken" and it's a used light....so if it still works for the intended purpose (which we're still trying to confirm), why worry much right?