Coral Vue Hydros

Recommended way to prune/propagate Gracilaria Hayi

vereef

billygoat

Every few months I pull mine out of the tank and chop it up with a pair of scissors. As far as I can tell it is almost impossible to kill. 😁

If you're interested in propagating it, use the cuttings as frags instead of the main plug. The oldest part of the alga will always be at the middle of the clump and will die off eventually, so planting fragments from the outside of the bunch will allow you to keep it going forever.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, phobos2deimos said:

I don't know if it's ideal, but I had no problems with cutting and growing G. Hayi pretty much any way.

Thanks!!!

17 hours ago, billygoat said:

Every few months I pull mine out of the tank and chop it up with a pair of scissors. As far as I can tell it is almost impossible to kill. 😁

If you're interested in propagating it, use the cuttings as frags instead of the main plug. The oldest part of the alga will always be at the middle of the clump and will die off eventually, so planting fragments from the outside of the bunch will allow you to keep it going forever.

Great advice! Thanks!!