Innovative Marine Aquariums

Frogspawn All Closed Up!

ReeferMo

I bought a frogspawn frag about 6 weeks ago (thanks NanoAmyDee!). All was well and the coral seemed to be doing great. About 2 weeks ago, it retracted all of it's polyps and closed up. There is no dead or deteriorating flesh, no polyps have been lost, and they have even kept their color. About once a day it will extend 4 or 5 polyps like it wants to open up, but then it won't. I took a water sample to the lfs to double check my water parameters - everything was perfect. The only thing was the salinity was a little high at 1.029. I immediately took steps to correct it, and it now stands at 1.026. For further info, I have a galaxea, hammer, shrooms, rics, and zoas, and they all are doing great. Any ideas or comments? I'm trying to post a pic but having some issues. :rant:

I'll try to get one up soon.

where is it placed in tank in relation to other corals. It might be getting stung by sweepers and is reacting to its environment. Galaxea is a very very aggresive coral and should not be near other corals, as is hammer and frogspawn. Actually, hammer and frogspawn are from the same family, Euphyllia.

Secretreef - I would say that it was more of a medium flow, enough to keep the polyps swaying, but not whipping around. I was told that if you had too much flow, that the polyps would be cut off by the sharp edges of the skeleton.

Archived