Top Shelf Aquatics

Preparing for bigger reefing! Plans for new tank!

Paddy42

Hi everyone!

Some might think it's pretty extreme idea, but all I know is that I started reefing just few months ago in my little 60l tank and I know now I want to go bigger!

Don't worry, I am not planning on jumping from 60l to 160l straight away... Lol

I have an idea to start planing everything and start gathering resources for the future.

So it won't swallow my wallet once I am ready for this.

I personally think I will carry on with my 60l for the next 6months or up to a year but then slowly I will start setting up my 160l. It is great experience which I think will be useful for my bigger reef tank.

Therefore I won't abandon my 60l! Not just yet lol..

What I would appreciate if you could give me your opinion on building the whole system for my 160l from the beginning along side with my 60l carried on until everything in 160l is settled and cycled.

I would like it to be budget friendly, therefore defo planing on starting with dry aragonite as substrate and dry rock which I would get earlier and prepare accordingly.

I thought if the fish tank will have dimension 100cm (l) x 45cm (w) I would use egg crates on the whole bottom and add 6kg dry aragonite sand. So the egg crate would be directly on the bare glass all covered with sand. On the top of this would go dry rock which I would like to get a few bigger pieces and just glue them together to create 1 big stable piece which would be resting on the sand&egg crate.

My purpouse is to create big piece of rock that will satisfy me in terms of desired shape. 

I want to use mainly dry rock as I could make wholes in it for future frags that I would create in the smaller tank. Pretty much use it as nursery 😄

now in the dry rock I can easily drill simple plug wholes as nothing annoys me more than glueing frags to rock just to find out few days later that it has been knock over by snail.

Or something.

My idea is to start with dry rock and dry sand and maybe use a bit of sand from my 60l to start with.

I want it to cycle slowly but steadily.

Please let me know what you think about this idea so far.

Also I am planning to get sump but I would need advice what the minimum size for sump would be for 160l and how many chambers. I do not need anything fancy. I want to keep it budget friendly as much as possible.

I will carry on with my crazy idea tomorrow as it's getting late now.

Thanks everyone for your input and valuable advice.

On 4/30/2019 at 4:30 PM, Paddy42 said:

I would use egg crates on the whole bottom

This provides pockets for detritus to collect and prevents the cleanup crew from moving throughout the sand.  I might reconsider the egg crate.

For a sump, I usually just use a smaller glass aquarium (maybe half the size of the display).  For baffles, I just cut and silicone in a single glass baffle (to maintain water level for the skimmer and create a chamber for the return pump).  Obviously a refugium in the sump would call for additional baffles.

• Like 1

I 've been recently researching a bit sumps.

Does it have to be glass / acrylic container?

I have 20l storage container that I bought as container to top up water in my tropical tank. Never really used it as I got bucket which is a bit more handy.

That container is rectangular shape which I think would work well. The only question is.. is plastic safe for sump?

Also when I bought this 60 l originally it was supplied with LED light. It is not full spectrum I think and it's just white. Would had work ok as light for sump? Do i even need good lightning for the sump if i want to keep in there some live rock? If so is normal LED light ok or does it have to be proper marine LED light?

How about grow light I  used to use to grow seedlings in my green house?

Red, blue and white LED light full spectrum. Would this be useful?

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Paddy42 said:

is plastic safe for sump?

Most plastic is.  Normally, if it's food safe, or made for potable water, your good.  A bigger issue might be securing baffles (if you want one or more baffles).

5 minutes ago, Paddy42 said:

I think and it's just white. Would had work ok as light for sump? Do i even need good lightning for the sump if i want to keep in there some live rock?

If it's just rock, you wouldn't even need a light.  But a white light should be acceptable for a fuge.

Should be fine as it was sold as food storage container.

1 big one and loads of smaller containers inside.

For the baffles.. I might see If it works.. my only worry is the edges on the bottom are rounded rather then sharp 90 degrees angle. So will see a bit closer to the time. At least I can educate myself a bit 😄

But eventually I might try to get something 2nd hand and use silicone to make sure it doesn't leak (If it's damaged tank) they usually cheap or sometimes even free.

Will see, will see.

Another thing I was wondering about.. what's the best heater? By the beast I don't mean 350W or whatever is the higher.. I don't want to powerfully heater as this might cause temperature swings I guess. Where is it's weaker heater I might get just 150W and it would work better long term? What's your opinion?

Also while we are talking about heaters.. can I just put heater in the sump and then do not place any heater in the display tank? Or would I still need 1 in display tank and 1 in sump?

Thanks!

One heater (properly sized) would be sufficient for both the fuge and display.  A more powerful heater will heat faster and won't run as long as a weaker one.  The actual temperature swing should be similar.  Some people worry about a heater getting stuck on, so they use a less powerful heater thinking it will take longer to overheat.  However, the addition of a temperature controller is better way to prevent overheating.

1 minute ago, seabass said:

However, the addition of a temperature controller is better way to prevent overheating.

That is actually very clever!

Will defo get one of these into my tank at some point.

I have little thermometer in mine 60l one that I have set up to alarm once the water temperature reach 27°C or drop below 24.5°C

I know it's quiet a bit range but I have noticed that the water always swings around 25-26.5°C depends if I have my cover on or when I leave it open.

And it works fine for now.

I have heard the alarm goes off one, couple of weeks ago where it was covered during the day. And oh boy it was quiet warm day.

Thanks for all the help!

• Like 1