ReefCleaners.org

Raising pH and advice on beginners corals?

govols2015

Hi all,

I have a 10 gallon that I intend to turn into a reef tank. My cycle completed over a week ago and two days ago I added a clown and a scarlet legged hermit. Both seem to be doing well so far, although the clown is a bit hesitant to eat flake food. I plan on getting some frozen food to feed, as well.

I plan to add one more small fish later, but my question now is regarding corals. I had a FOWLR 30 gallon several years ago but have never had a reef tank. How long should I wait before adding some easy corals? What are some good options for this tank? The light is a Kessel A80. Also, how do I go about feeding my corals/do the recommended types need to be fed?

My other question is regarding my pH. It is currently around 8.0 which I know is a tad low for corals and inverts. I have added the recommended dose of Marine Buffer the past 2 days but have not noticed an increase. Should I be using Reef Buffer instead since I plan to add corals? Also, my salt is Instant Ocean and my salinity is around 1.022 which I also know is low. Will getting my salinity to 1.024 be enough to bring my pH up to the 8.2 range? I just don't want to overreact too early and add something I should not.

Thanks for the help everyone!

IMG_0171.JPG

I'd stop with the marine buffer. Don't worry about Ph, just get salinity up to 1.025-1.026.

Then as long as your tanks cycled corals can go in. 

• Like 2

Don't chase ph. It fluctuates all day long. Surface water movement and opening the windows is the safe method of changing ph.

8.0 is not really low.

Alk is 1 thing that should be monitored regularly. I like yo test mine 2 times a week.

Ca, mag, nitrates, and phos are the other important parameters to test. In the beginning weekly testing is good until you get an idea what's going on in the tank, become familiar with its usage of the above.

There are many corals that aren't difficult. You can slowly start adding once the tank is cycled

• Like 1

Never dose buffer...it effects more than pH and a good way to kill corals 😮

my pH runs as low as 7.7 in winter and it's not a big deal. It's something you don't really need to test or worry about.

Get your salinity up.

• Like 2