Coral Vue Hydros

In need of help for quick setup

Pantera61

I have a 10 gallon sitting around that was used for goldfish a few months ago.  This is the tank. 

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/starter-kits/top-fin-fascinate-column-starter-kit-5277169.html

I have a 28 bio cube running and I have a few rocks that just don't fit into place with my aquascape.  So I'm going to start up this little guy with about 6 pounds of live rock.  I'll add a 2" sand bed also.  The problem is is that the filter is junk and the lights are not exactly what I want.  I'm going to keep the hood and lights for now but would it be better to get a small HOB skimmer or a over powered filter?  I'm not going to add any corals or fish right now.  Maybe a frag if my Kenya tree splits but thats about it.  Might bring over 1 or 2 hermits too.  That's still undecided.

All I know is it'll be a basically non existent bio load

So I want to get this set up asap.  Any thoughts on what to do?  

29 minutes ago, Pantera61 said:

I have a 10 gallon sitting around that was used for goldfish a few months ago.  This is the tank. 

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/starter-kits/top-fin-fascinate-column-starter-kit-5277169.html

I have a 28 bio cube running and I have a few rocks that just don't fit into place with my aquascape.  So I'm going to start up this little guy with about 6 pounds of live rock.  I'll add a 2" sand bed also.  The problem is is that the filter is junk and the lights are not exactly what I want.  I'm going to keep the hood and lights for now but would it be better to get a small HOB skimmer or a over powered filter?  I'm not going to add any corals or fish right now.  Maybe a frag if my Kenya tree splits but thats about it.  Might bring over 1 or 2 hermits too.  That's still undecided.

All I know is it'll be a basically non existent bio load

So I want to get this set up asap.  Any thoughts on what to do?  

you dont need a filter if you have a powerhead or something to keep the water moving. 

• Thanks 1

If it's just a holding tank for liverock, you just gotta fill up the tank with sw, transfer rock, have a powerhead and heater.

Without a proper light coralline won't grow.

If you want to set it up as a reef, I'd go with the filter over skimmer because you can't run floss or carbon with the skimmer.

• Thanks 1

I agree with Clown79, I'd run a small HOB filter over a skimmer on that size. Check out Mightynanotank on Instagram for a cool 5g "budget" build. That tank is awesome for the size and could easily be done on a 10 gallon.