Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ricordea Florida not opening

adam_ducote

adam_ducote

This past Friday (26th) I bought two ricordea florida frags. One has opened and is happy as can be, the other is still closed up. Should I be worried, or should I give it some more time?

My tanks parameters: 

Salinity: 1.026 S.G

PH: 8.2

Ammonia: 0.00 PPM

Nitrite: 0.00 PPM

Nitrate: 10 PPM

adam_ducote
33 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

How long has your reef been set up? what kind of light set up do you have? how much flow? 

A month so far. Cycled with turbo start, made sure the parameters were steady before adding any coral. AI prime for the light and low flow. They’re currently getting medium to low light. 

adam_ducote
13 hours ago, 748S911 said:

Should be golden in a few days.  Have any pics of them?

It’s the one on the right. The one on the left is open. 

C971282D-7858-44D1-9A60-647D630EBC1A.jpeg

• Like 1

If you bought them at the same time and they both looked good when you bought them, I wouldn't worry at all as long as the rest of your corals in your tank are looking good. It's a new coral, so it could take a couple weeks to open and adjust to your tank.

In a week from now if it's still closed up or it starts to melt, I'd worry about. If it's just closed and new, no worries at all.

As said in another thread..,

We also have very little to base our opinions on unless you give us more info about the tank.  Usually this means relevant test results and at least one good tank pic that shows the coral and major tank hardware.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Or try moving it to a shadier side of the tank. The one on the left seems covered a bit by rockwork, while right one is in the full light blast. Mine closes completely if I turn its rock even slightly. 

21 hours ago, Neb said:

Or try moving it to a shadier side of the tank. The one on the left seems covered a bit by rockwork, while right one is in the full light blast. Mine closes completely if I turn its rock even slightly. 

Ricordea Florida are damn near impossible to kill - they are found in shallow inner reefs, lagoons, tide pools, etc. which can have varying light, temperature, salinity, nutrients, and particulate matter. They can also "walk" similarly to an anemone, so if you put it in a spot it isn't happy with, it'll move short distances to a better spot. They can handle huge amounts of light, or very little if they are fed well. For example, in Hawaii on a sunny day, in 10 feet of water there is well over 1200 PAR and still over 600 PAR in 40 feet of water. While they don't live in Hawaii, they live at comparable latitudes in the Caribbean and Gulf and live in shallow water, so they are getting far more light in nature than we throw at them!

They can sort themselves out really well.

1 hour ago, jservedio said:

Ricordea Florida are damn near impossible to kill - they are found in shallow inner reefs, lagoons, tide pools, etc. which can have varying light, temperature, salinity, nutrients, and particulate matter. They can also "walk" similarly to an anemone, so if you put it in a spot it isn't happy with, it'll move short distances to a better spot. They can handle huge amounts of light, or very little if they are fed well. For example, in Hawaii on a sunny day, in 10 feet of water there is well over 1200 PAR and still over 600 PAR in 40 feet of water. While they don't live in Hawaii, they live at comparable latitudes in the Caribbean and Gulf and live in shallow water, so they are getting far more light in nature than we throw at them!

They can sort themselves out really well.

Yeah, I have read an article about it on practical fishkeeping (was it?). Mine doesn’t do it. Won’t hurt to try anyway. Could be preparing to split too. Mine did it - closed for awhile and then half of it went on the side of the rock.