SaltCritters.com

What is this weird dancing creature? Jellyfish? Some type of weird nem? Hydroid?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I woke up this morning to find this on my glass. What is it? It’s see through and it looks like it has a bulb in the middle of it with something in it? Well this is weird... right as I was trying to get a picture of it, it detached from the glass and started hoping around the tank like some kinda rabbit? It looked like jellyfish? I couldn’t really get any better pictures bc it was dancing all over the place? It was probably the funniest thing that I’ve seen happen with my tank, I’ve never seen something like this before😂. Maybe someone can help me figure it out by just the description, bc I’m very confused😂.

F97EA93C-E2F0-4B7C-812B-763C35F02FDD.jpeg

78961725-5826-427E-A3C4-CC539A4C5230.jpeg

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I woke up this morning to find this on my glass. What is it? It’s see through and it looks like it has a bulb in the middle of it with something in it? Well this is weird... right as I was trying to get a picture of it, it detached from the glass and started hoping around the tank like some kinda rabbit? It looked like jellyfish? I couldn’t really get any better pictures bc it was dancing all over the place? It was probably the funniest thing that I’ve seen happen with my tank, I’ve never seen something like this before😂. Maybe someone can help me figure it out by just the description, bc I’m very confused😂.

F97EA93C-E2F0-4B7C-812B-763C35F02FDD.jpeg

78961725-5826-427E-A3C4-CC539A4C5230.jpeg

That pic is worthless. 😄

Look up hydroid jellyfish. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like you got a smudge... 😁

For real tho, it's probably nothing. Little clear nem looking things have never been a problem for me. But it sounds pretty weird from the behavior you described.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, Joevember said:

Looks like you got a smudge... 😁

For real tho, it's probably nothing. Little clear nem looking things have never been a problem for me. But it sounds pretty weird from the behavior you described.

Yea, tell me about it. It’s hard to get a picture of it. Last I saw it, it was on the sand bed and it’s hard to see bc it’s pretty much invisible. It was just weird bc it was hopping all over the place, and it reminded me of a jellyfish, but it was bobbing a lot faster than a normal jellyfish.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

That pic is worthless. 😄

Look up hydroid jellyfish. 

That’s exactly what it looked like. Mystery solved. Is it reef safe? 

Sorry about the pictures tho, it was so hard to get anything better than that 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

That’s exactly what it looked like. Mystery solved. Is it reef safe? 

Sorry about the pictures tho, it was so hard to get anything better than that 

The only thing they pose a danger to is seahorses.  It will just go away on its own one day. No care required. 😊

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

The only thing they pose a danger to is seahorses.  It will just go away on its own one day. No care required. 😊

Oh ok, I thought that it was kinda awesome when he was bobbing up and down. Wish there was more colorful versions of them and just have a tank full of different colored hydroids😂

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Ok, I just noticed that I actually have a lot of these things. They are all ranging in size. I have seen maybe 15 different ones? Hopefully they won’t begin to overrun my tank like pods did. I know pods are a good thing, but I have so many that you look at the back glass and all you see is a sheet of pods. There has to be like 100,000 of pods in my tank, it’s crazy.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Ok, I just noticed that I actually have a lot of these things. They are all ranging in size. I have seen maybe 15 different ones? Hopefully they won’t begin to overrun my tank like pods did. I know pods are a good thing, but I have so many that you look at the back glass and all you see is a sheet of pods. There has to be like 100,000 of pods in my tank, it’s crazy.

It’s normal. You will look one day and they will all be gone. 😊

• Like 1