SaltCritters.com

Reef Newbie. Planning and Starting Pico Tank and Have some questions

xredlinexx1

xredlinexx1

Hi All,

I'm in the planning process of starting a pico reef, with no experience in reefing or saltwater aquariums. I've been reading, reading and doing more reading trying to educate myself on everything related to keeping a reef. My goal is to create a pico tank that's aesthetically pleasing as possible and requires as little maintenance as possible (i realize this is kind of a pipe dream for picos). Money isn't much of an issue (so i think).

Here is my current inventory plan:
1. aquamaxx 2.6 gallon tank

2. NICREW ClassicLED light 12 - 18 inch version. I'm very much attached to this because of its size and the ability to remove its support wires.

2. hydro inline 200 watt 1/2 inch tubing heater
3. med nano 10 canister filter

4. jardli lily spin pipe and inflow pipe (aesthetics)

5. Mirror the back of the tank (i like the look and i think it will make the tank appear bigger when looking at it)

What i'm trying to achieve:
1. I'm going to build a very low profile tank canopy out of wood (i don't like those very tall canopies). The NICREW light will lay flush against the canopy roof mounted to the wood without using the provided The back of the canopy will have a gap wide enough to allow the lily pipes and light cord through and also provide some air.

2. I only want 2 glass pipes in the tank.

What i'm concerned about:

1. My main concern now is surface agitation and even skimming (i would love to have skimming to reduce maintenance). I have no clue what kind of effect the med nano filter and lily spin pipe will have (will it make a tornado current, or too little?). I was also thinking i could angle the lily spin pipe so it aims towards the surface to provide the surface agitation. In regards to skimming, i would LOVE to get one of those glass lily intake/surface skimmers, but there doesn't appear to be one short enough to fit in the 7.1 inch tall tank :(.

2. I want to have SPS corals. I'm skeptical of the NICREW light for this. I've read people getting 30ish par readings from it. I'm thinking the light will be fine because of the shallowness of the tank and the fact that the light will take up nearly the whole surface area of the surface.

Do any of you experienced guys have thoughts on this plan?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm sorry I'm not much help b/c I'm not real familiar with the equipment that you have mentioned. 

However, I can recommend that you check out people's threads that are involved in the old school pico contest & the pico contest that took place last year.

I'm sure you'll get a ton of great info on most of those threads! Good luck!

• Like 1
Wonderboy

I like your plan. Two things; the heater: I would put it on a temperature controller, or get something with less power and hide it in the canister? And second, the lily pipes, get two pair, in my experience with them on a reef tank: they get dirty fast - clear means stuff grows in them, too, and restricts flow. I couldn't just use brushes because a lot that grows on glass is calcifying. If you're going to do it, get two pair, and acid-soak 2 while the other 2 are in use. It sounds like you have a good grasp of what's necessary; now, just go for it and see if it works well enough or requires more fine tuning - only application will tell!  :]

• Like 1