Pod Your Reef

palythoa polyp dying??

errand

These guys are a week old from the LFS, the one with the problem never opened up for me from day 1, and it looks like it's dead or dying. The others appear robust and open/close as I believe they should.

The poor dying one seems to have shrunk as well as not opening up. 

I had thought it may just be that particular polyp didn't adjust to my tank, but just wanted to check in case there is anything else obvious from the picture, as I'm a noob and don't know what I'm looking at.

Water parameters are 0 for ammonia, nitrates, its hard to tell for nitrites from the colored card but they seem to be low if not nothing. This is a new tank, about 6 weeks old, coral has been in for about a week. 

I expect this guy is doomed but should i be worried about the others?? i've been reading about coral parasites and completely freaked myself out tbh.

deadpaly.jpg

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, errand said:

These guys are a week old from the LFS, the one with the problem never opened up for me from day 1, and it looks like it's dead or dying. The others appear robust and open/close as I believe they should.

The poor dying one seems to have shrunk as well as not opening up. 

I had thought it may just be that particular polyp didn't adjust to my tank, but just wanted to check in case there is anything else obvious from the picture, as I'm a noob and don't know what I'm looking at.

Water parameters are 0 for ammonia, nitrates, its hard to tell for nitrites from the colored card but they seem to be low if not nothing. This is a new tank, about 6 weeks old, coral has been in for about a week. 

I expect this guy is doomed but should i be worried about the others?? i've been reading about coral parasites and completely freaked myself out tbh.

deadpaly.jpg

That spiral shaped tube is a vermetid snail. They can irritate corals with their slime nets.  Remove it completely or cover with super glue. 

oh my god, I thought that was a piece of dead algae root or something, there is another one on that same bit of rock the palys came on.

Ok I will do that, thankyou! 

• Like 1

I pulled the piece of rock out and found 4 greenish large tubes and one small pink translucent one. The pink one has definitely got a resident.
I used pliers to crush off the 4 bigger tubes but the pink one is right between two palys and I was a bit nervous of accidentally damaging them, so I only managed to bite off half the snail tube.
Now back in the tank and I see the snail is dangling out of what's left of his house!! Will it die like that or just go build a new house?

Also while I had the piece of rock out I noticed another creature inside the hollow end - from what I understand a chiton. It looked very firmly wedged in so not sure if its alive.

vermatid.png

chiton.JPG

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, errand said:

I pulled the piece of rock out and found 4 greenish large tubes and one small pink translucent one. The pink one has definitely got a resident.
I used pliers to crush off the 4 bigger tubes but the pink one is right between two palys and I was a bit nervous of accidentally damaging them, so I only managed to bite off half the snail tube.
Now back in the tank and I see the snail is dangling out of what's left of his house!! Will it die like that or just go build a new house?

Also while I had the piece of rock out I noticed another creature inside the hollow end - from what I understand a chiton. It looked very firmly wedged in so not sure if its alive.

vermatid.png

chiton.JPG

If it rebuilds then just cover the end of the tube with super glue. 

Chitons are good guys. You’ll rarely see it move even if it’s still alive.