ReefCleaners.org

Do most picos do 100% water changes weekly?

CaptainNegatory

CaptainNegatory

And how do you deal with chemical warfare from so many corals in such close density. The only thing I can think of is water changes. 

Best, 

C. Negatory

100% weekly water changes are good to restore levels back to normal (nutrients as well as elements).  The amount of water involved makes it cost effective.

Leather corals are known for their chemical warfare.  I'd recommend a filter running activated carbon for leathers.  Weekly water changes may not be adequate.

In general, most other corals use other methods (like stinging, shading, or overcrowding).  The same principles of coral placement and density apply to picos as it does to nanos.

In fact, you can run a pico the exact same way that you run a nano (filtration, partial water changes, testing, dosing, etc).  Picos just give you some options which might not be practical for larger tanks.

• Like 3

I started my pico on a Saturday and every saturday I do a 50% water change and change the floss. One nice thing is that once you mix your saltwater just take an empty jug, fill it with hot water and set it in your bucket to bring it up to temp, works quick.

• Like 2