Coral Vue Hydros

Pico Tank For A Hospital Patient?

CaptainNegatory

CaptainNegatory

Hey All, 

I'm building a 2.5 Pico, first time ever. I'm building for someone special that I love very much that loves the ocean as much as I do.         Unfortunately, she doesn't have the resources to have a nice sized reef tank at home and is going to be in the hospital for 6-8 weeks. Having a Pico jar would make her happy so I am going to start it cycling this week, do a two week cycling, and bring it to her with a coral or two and when she gets out take her to pick a few frags. I also want to add at least one piece of livestock so while there aren't many corals in there she'll have something to look at. But knowing how she is she would feel bad for a creature that is all by itself so I have to get at least two of something. 

I was thinking about getting pompom crabs but was trying to keep to a twice a week feeding at max. I was going to do the massive feeding and then 100% water change the next day. I'm not sure if this would be tolerable for these crabs and I was also told they could sting corals with their anemones so they may not be the best idea.

Lastly, I'm wondering what kind of bulb I could use for a very deep blue at night so she could keep this on as a night light while the tank sleeps. 

I'd love any input on this. I'm ordering materials today and livestock in a week or two. Thanks in advance. 

Best Regards, 

C. Negatory

• Like 1

That's very sweet of you to do, I'm sure she will enjoy looking at it!

Are you going to be the one to keep up with the weekly water changes & any other maintenance it needs?

Just thinking that'll be "an extra thing" for her to do while she's recovering & she may not feel up to that aspect of the tank.

CaptainNegatory
7 hours ago, Wendy said:

That's very sweet of you to do, I'm sure she will enjoy looking at it!

Are you going to be the one to keep up with the weekly water changes & any other maintenance it needs?

Just thinking that'll be "an extra thing" for her to do while she's recovering & she may not feel up to that aspect of the tank.

Oh yeah! I'll be taking care of it while she's in there and she'll get to see how it's done. Then when she goes home she'll have all the tools, test kits, etc. She needs and the skills to do it on her own. I'll just guide her on coral compatibility and placement. So as she heals with time and growth she'll get to see her corals and creatures grow with her. 

• Like 2

Sounds like a good plan @CaptainNegatory!

If she ever needed you to take it back, then it would be small & easy to do so.

Pompom crabs are great! I've had some in the past & loved them. They didn't harm anything & were really visible in a pico.

With the current 2.5 old school pico contest & the other pico contest that just ended there's all kinds of current threads in here with lighting options.

Have a read & see what you seem to like best. Also, I'm sure anyone would be more than happy to answer your questions about their lights, just ask!

Good luck with your new adventure!

• Like 2

There's a pompom crab in the Divers Den at LiveAquaria right now 🙂I know because I ordered one of the two that were on the site last night lol. Great deal going through Saturday -- spend $100, get $25 gift card + free shipping, or spend $179, get $50 and also free shipping.

Sounds like a really nice idea and something for her to look forward to and keep spirits high. Very nice of you.

• Like 1