ReefCleaners.org

Snail eggs and further advice

Paddy42

Hi guys,

It's me again and I need your advice again!

Yesterday morning I woke up to some snail eggs on the inside glass wall in my little reef tank.

They are laid in funny "zig-zag" pattern without sharp edges. More like many "S" linked in one line.

Not sure what they are but they looks funny and I am seriously considering caring for them till they become independent creatures! My question here would be what they actually are? As I have most common (I think) 3 types of snails in the tank.

Please don't ask me what they are as I am quiet new and I just go to LFS taking them what my need is for CUC and they offering their choice to me which I am choosing from.

I think one of them is Astrea snail (the one that eats algae from tank glass) also other type is the one that are hurried in the sand and coming out only during feeding time. Third spices is similar. It buries itself in the sand but doesnt eat meat. It jist eat algea and sifting the sand.

Now if you will be able to help me with identifying below pics - great! God bless you! It would be very appreciated  indeed.

But also I would like to know what's the survival rate? How to tell if they are fertilized or not? And if they are, what can I do to ensure the higher survival rate? Protect from fish that might eat it from the glass?

Also how long does it take to tell if they were actually fertilized?

If after that period nothing would change, is it worth just cleaning it and hoping for next spawn?

Or can they be fertiliser even after a while?

Thank you very much for your interest and your input!

Kind regards,

Paddy

20190424_202324.jpg

Looks like cerith eggs. When they 'hatch' it'll look like it's fizzing. Never noticed any babies from it though. Only fish I had that ate it one time was a tailspot blenny and it was freaking disgusting. 

3 minutes ago, xthunt said:

Never noticed any babies from it though.

:C

Such a shame! Really wanted to get some babies going on in my fish tank!

Maybe someone will give their view on the subject as well?

Thanks for your reply thou!

Ya, if they are cerinth, they say they are hard to breed in captivity. I do know that nerite snails will leave single white spots all over the place. People tend to not like nerites for that reason.  I have a bunch of nerites that have hatched in a 5 gal shroom tanks, the only tip I can give for nerites is to keep your tank filthy, lol.

• Like 1

I agree that they are Cerith Eggs. The only thing you can do is leave them and hope for the best. (I’ve had snails reproduce but not with any help from me.) My fish enjoy eating them. 

• Like 1

Thanks!

I was I bit concerned as I am giving them reefroid once a week and now phytoplankton every 3rd day. Just half of cap from the bottle which is around 1-2ml.

And i have notice since I have started to add phytoplankton they don't really want to eat the leftovers from fish feeding.

I usually leave a few shrimps from frozen food, if I can see any whole ones and just give one to my BTA, one little shrimp to my green stem Duncan (which they just munch away in few mins) and I have always a couple more crumbs of shrimps left so I usually give Zoas the slightly smaller pieces - one for each head. But as mentioned above, since i started to feed them with phytoplankton as well - they dont want to close up once the shrimp touches the head.

I thought that's not very good sign but maybe they just not hungry.

Although some heads will take it, there is always a couple of heads that will refuse to take the food.

But they all look fine so wasn't sure.

Must be just me being a bit too caring <lol>

• Like 1