Top Shelf Aquatics

Daniel's 3g Eclipse

danielmiller82

danielmiller82

Here is my 3g nano. I started it Aug 15th.

3g Eclipse tank

Regent 10-15g HOB power filter

2 x 13w Compact Fluorescent (1 7000k/ 1 Actinic 03)

2.5" Exhaust fan

4lbs Florida Keys Live sand

6-7 lbs Assorted LR

4 'shrooms

2 featherdusters

Bunch of Zoos

3" Devils Hand Leather

3 Astrea Snails

Hitchhiker Nassarius Snail

Emerald Crab

4 or 5 Blue Leg hermits (Small)

1 MONSTER Blue Leg Crab

1 Red Leg Reef Crab

1 Coral banded Shrimp

and some misc. hitchhikers

Here it is when I first set it up

dscn0222.jpg

Rearanged a week later with 1/2lb of LR added

rearanged_8_25.jpg

danielmiller82

i have 3 other tanks and this 3g is my favorite. Im adding a Citron Clown Goby next week. I am looking for some blue shrooms...so if anyone has a single blue shroom polyp(or any other cool coral--I want variety!!!) they wanna donate to the cause...feel free to PM me anytime!!

hi daniel,

your tank looks so awesome. And, great pictures of your crabs!

And..nice product placement in your first pic. :)

Everybody is dissing my Eclipse 12. I just have sand and water in it now...waiting to get some LR. Come back me up! (a southern girl's 12g, you can't miss it)

Daniel, your tank is off to a really nice start. I think the 3g eclipse is the nicest smaller size nano available. Have you had any temperature issues in such a small tank, I noticed you had no heater? BTW awesome invertebrate shots.

~BH20

danielmiller82
Originally posted by BelowH2O

Daniel, your tank is off to a really nice start. I think the 3g eclipse is the nicest smaller size nano available. Have you had any temperature issues in such a small tank, I noticed you had no heater? BTW awesome invertebrate shots.  

~BH20

Thanks, Its a kinda neat story, I bought a 10g Nano off of this guy for $40. It had a perc, yellow watchman, and a cleaner wrasse, plus about $100 in Kent chemicals, lights, two powerheads. He also had a big box of aquarium stuff that included this little tank. It was his recovery tank. I was planning on ordering a custom sized 7.5g tank to fit on my desk, but this one was perfect! My only beef with the Eclipse is that the acrylic scratches easy and it came to me a little less than perfect, But I can ignore the small scratches.

I haven't had any temp issues at all. Im in an office building so the temp in here is fairly stable. When the lights are off at night, the tank will drop down to about 75-76º.During the day, the lights in the hood heat the water to about 78-79º...(A fan on the top that turns on when my first lights kick in, blows that hot air out and keep the water cool)

I recommend the eclipse setup to anyone (although the filter intake is positioned awkward..but that is easily replace--albeit with some minor cutting and modification)

danielmiller82
Originally posted by Megalomaniac

nice tank! and nice coffee mug i have one just like it:D

Thats cool...I have a bunch of these...Im Graphics producer at the station...where this tank is!

danielmiller82

I just added some new stuff to my nano today!

Here is the tank shot

3gnano10_1_04.jpg

Here is the small branch hammer i got

hammer.jpg

And here are the two Peppermint Shrimp I got as well(one is in the back ground blurry) Their names are Frick and Frack.

pepppermint.jpg

I also got a small astrea snail as a hitchhiker

• 5 weeks later...
danielmiller82

Well...

I added a Yellow Clown Goby, but he refused to eat any of the foods I tried to feed him. Then i started to get coraline established pretty good... and well it kicked into overdrive! I got both green and pink growing...but the problem is....it keeps growing on the front. And since the front is acrylic it scratches VERY easily. And since its a bowfront...its SUPER hard to clean. I have had a fun few months with this 3 gallon, but I feel that it is type to upgrade. I have had a custom 9 gallon made for me... Dimensions are 12x12x18. I am putting a divider about 2" from the back of the tank. It will be a continuous overflow(IE-no teeth). The water will flow into the back area...where one of my two heaters will be located. Then the water goes out to a 10g sump/refuge on the floor. where it is returned to a flow bar(PVC pipe with small holes drilled in it) across the front of the tank. I will also be adding a closed loop in the back overflow area. but the neat thing...the returns will be plumbed through the divider wall and will be hidden under sand and LR. My goal here is to have a nano were you see absolutely nothing inside the display besides sand, LR, corals and critters. The new tank will have ~6 gallons of room for display...the entire system will be 19 gallons. Having the sump on the floor..i will be building an enclosure that allows me to put all of my tank stuff inside rather than having it in my desk. I will be making updates as progress continues.

Archived