Innovative Marine Aquariums

Icecap 1k

Nick13

I have a IM nuvo 40 and just recently bought a icecap 1k gyre pump and installed it in the tank tonight and the flow seemed to be way to much for my tank. I dialed it all the way down to 10-20% but it still blasted my tank. Any one have any experience with these pumps that can give me any tips, maybe something I'm doing wrong. I've seen them run in smaller tanks then mines so must be something I'm doing. I am replacing 2 aqamai kps pumps. TIA!

I have an evo 13.5 gallon and have it mounted up top its on the gyre mode -40 percent, and +30 percent.  No issues but I dont have sand either, not sure if that helped.  

I do have sand, I must be mounting wrong or something I put in horizontal near the top of the tank, but even at 10% it seems to want to rip all my corals out. Here's a FTS so you can see what I'm working with.1225164946_FTSApril22.thumb.jpg.b68e5f3b6d547cc37a2b7be1a5a860d3.jpg

I have pics posted on my thread EVOreef under AIO tank journal of my pump. Should all be the same out of the box. I dont rember me changing the cages.

I have one on my standard 29 gallon. Running alternating gyre mode(you need the kit to do so just an fyi for everyone else) at 70%. My corals that are on frag plugs not glued down sometimes get dislodged and blown around, also no sand here.

• Like 1

Yea I will have to play with it some more, definitely not doing something right if you have yours at 70% in a 29 gallon. When I first turned it on it was at 50% and I almost got a shower. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow when I get a chance to mess with it again.

I tried to get pics of my cage directions. Basically the top one blow water slighty up to ripple the surface and the other is pointed backwards towards the glass a bit so it sweeps the bottom of the tank. And I’m a little over an inch underwater.

A9A0989A-AAFA-4B2B-9495-1803D27C1617.thumb.jpeg.ba7e44db445bb94ecc9a9f3e0eac483f.jpegA37BD793-4250-4FE3-BE23-62F331002D01.thumb.jpeg.cc007e76e671cdad36f612737925de48.jpeg

Well I messed with it some more tonight and just think its to much flow for my tank. I had it running with one side off at 10-20% pulse mode and my fungia was getting blown across the sand. Not sure what else I can do to slow it down any more.

Nuvo 40 is 24” across right? It’s all about the cage direction and depth from the top. Try two things, lower it from the surface and point the cages outflow up towards the surface OR put it more towards the surface and point the outflow parallel to surface(the only problem with this is you might get some air sucked into intake if you run reverse gyre mode). Is your fungia attached to a rock? Like I had mentioned my frag plugs that aren’t glued blow around after a while.

Do you have the alternating gyre kit installed? Your best bet is to set it on constant mode running at let’s say 40% and adjust the depth and cage direction to get the flow where you want it. You might also try running it vertically. Don’t give up just yet 

Yea the tank is 24" long and 16" wide. I tried out everything you said but to no avail =( my fungia is sitting in the sand bed and with it set at 10% constant it was sliding across the sand. I think I'm going to have to look into a different option. Thanks for all the help!

Dang, I honestly like the IceCap gyre way better than the MP10 I was running. I feel like it covers way more of the tank with flow than the vortech did. Have you tried running it with one side only vertically? My tank is only 6 inches longer and running it on 70% I have no dead spots, like I said my corals not glued down I have to put back on the rocks every now and then but other than that I love it. 

I did try with one side but not vertically, maybe ill try that. My corals hated it when I did have it running just to much flow on them. I have mostly lps but a few sps in the mix too.

SaltyBuddha
20 hours ago, Nick13 said:

I did try with one side but not vertically, maybe ill try that. My corals hated it when I did have it running just to much flow on them. I have mostly lps but a few sps in the mix too.

I've been thinking about getting one of these for a little while. Some people say it is fine for a 20g, then others say it is too much for a 40g. Makes me hesitant to buy a new one for my 20g.

On 4/22/2019 at 7:38 PM, 748S911 said:

I have an evo 13.5 gallon and have it mounted up top its on the gyre mode -40 percent, and +30 percent.  No issues but I dont have sand either, not sure if that helped.  

You have this in a 13.5 gallon? That seems crazy small from the reviews I've been seeing. 

1 minute ago, SaltyBuddha said:

You have this in a 13.5 gallon? That seems crazy small from the reviews I've been seeing. 

Yup, it’s awesome too! I run it -70% to +50 percent on gyre mode