ReefCleaners.org

What’s up with my hammer?

chickendude10

chickendude10

I’ve had this hammer for about a month now and it’s always been open and vibrant green. I come home today and both heads have the tentacles somewhat retracted but pushed away from the mouths. The mouth is exposed with dark purple/brown flesh. 

Zoom in on the pics and you’ll see lines of tiny white/pink balls just under the skin near the mouth and in some tips.  Looks like strings of pearls 

I’m redoing Parameter testing but nothing out of the ordinary there. 

Biggest change has been a reduction in tank temp. Due to a bad thermometer I’ve been running my tank at around 86 degrees. About a week ago I lowered temps down to 82 degrees. 

What do you think is happening? Bleaching? Dreaded jelly disease?

E8467597-9DD6-488E-9B47-B5D432396BBB.jpeg

6598F5A7-66B1-4BB2-9642-A00439CD2872.jpeg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I actually read that little white pearl like balls under the skin of a hammer or other euphyllia could be that it’s trying to spawn? I remember reading about that somewhere, but I may be totally wrong here🤷‍♂️

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

That’s what it looks like to me. Can’t wait to see all those baby hammers😁. If you end up giving any away, don’t forget about the person who helped you figure it out😁😂

• Thanks 1
chickendude10

Update Pic

Both heads have ballooned up and the tentacles are all mostly retracted. More of the eggs (?) are around the mouth. I’m hoping this is all part of the process! 

4A948E09-0FE7-4A48-9BD6-BC38D6762683.jpeg

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Theres no doubt about it that those are eggs. It’s pretty easy to see in those pictures. Most of the time tho, they will spawn when it’s lights out