ReefCleaners.org

DIY Live Rock Questions

Azreil13

Hey everyone! 

This is my first time posting, because I can't seem to find the answer to this question. 

I'm currently combining my two 10 gal tanks into one, so my plan is to convert the second tank into a nano reef. I plan to start with just dry live rock, dose with bottled coralline and maybe seed with a few small pieces of live rock. 

I really want want to watch the reef grow, slow steady. Eventually I'll add a few corals and maybe some inverts, but no fish planned. 

Anyway, last night I mixed up crushed oyster shells with concrete and placed into sand molds. Everything I've read said to get either Portland or Quickcrete. However, my local hardware store didn't have either brand. So I ended up going with Sakcrete. It's designed for uses over 2" in thickness so I figured that would help it to hold the shapes. It's a mix, so I have been sifting out the gravel chunks and just using the cement itself. 

Does anyone know if the brand really matters that much? Or is it mostly just in the curing? 

I appreciate any input. Thank you!

IMG_0772.JPG

• Like 1

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question...but I was wondering:  Where do you buy bottled coralline algae from?  I've never seen any for sale before so I'm curious where you saw it.

Honestly I saw it on Amazon lol

But you can find it here as well:

https://arcreef.com/product/coralline-algae/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtMvlBRDmARIsAEoQ8zT2iM8i1UD-ueSYjNvu_fhr7FiFzOWqBEiulAwxPHA4yQTNZtwPMUQaAiPBEALw_wcB

ARC makes their own artificial live rock. They bottle the coralline in pink or purple strains to seed their rocks. My plan is to just make my own rock and pick up a bottle. Not sure if it actually works though. If not I'll  get a few pieces of rubble to seed the tank!

Anytime! It has decent reviews on Amazon and ARC! This is my first time trying for saltwater, so it's all new to me, glad to help out any way I can!