Coral Vue Hydros

Why does my Acan look like a marshmallow?

Lognor

I'm not sure why my acans look so different from most others I see.  They're in the middle of the tank getting low-moderate flow and moderate light.  One looks like a bunch of marshmallows, one looks like a bouquet of flowers or trumpets, another looks somewhat normal, and the last one isn't growing much at all.  None of them has very distinctive colors, three look like red/pink blobs and the purple one has a little bit of green in it.  Are they getting too much light?  My blues are running at about 60% and whites at 20%.  They're not going to turn into magic rainbow acans, but they used to have a little bit of color variation.  Thoughts?

IMG_9926-2.jpg

IMG_9926-3.jpg

Nothing wrong with them, just extra puffed. The polyps are stretching up and expanding to get more light/energy. Some people really like puffy acans like yours.

There are a couple things you can do if you don't like the way you look:

• Turn up the light intensity slowly over a couple weeks to a month.
  • Turn up the flow by adjusting the wavemaker or upgrading the return to make them more closed. 
  • Spot feed the polyps to provide the extra nutrients that they are stretching up to get.
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Joevember said:

Nothing wrong with them, just extra puffed. The polyps are stretching up and expanding to get more light/energy. Some people really like puffy acans like yours.

There are a couple things you can do if you don't like the way you look:

• Turn up the light intensity slowly over a couple weeks to a month.
  • Turn up the flow by adjusting the wavemaker or upgrading the return to make them more closed. 
  • Spot feed the polyps to provide the extra nutrients that they are stretching up to get.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I spot feed them mysis a couple of times a week, but I'm wondering if mine just don't care for that.  I'll have to try some concentrated reef roids or something different and see how they respond.  Thanks again.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

We also have very little to base our opinions on unless you give us more info about the tank.  Usually this means relevant test results and at least one good tank pic that shows the coral and major tank hardware.