Pod Your Reef

Montipora Cap Question

TaliaShepard

TaliaShepard

Hi, I'm sorry this is a very noob question, but I've been unable to find the answer through google or searching the forum. 

I have a large frag of orange monti cap in my 10 gallon IM NUVO. This is my first monti cap and my first SPS. I'm quite in love with this guy. He's mounted towards the top under an AI Pime HD+ and in a moderate laminar flow. He's not getting blasted but I've made sure detritus can't settle on him. He's very healthy, very brightly, almost neon, colored with a pale white rim so I know he's growing. In fact, he's been in the tank for two weeks and I swear he's already grown some. I know now why the guy I picked him up from was so desperate to send me off with a frag (I went for frogspawn). His frag tanks were full of it and he had several large massive skeletons of it that he had apparently just taken out of the tank because there was no room. Monti is apparently the Xenia of the SPS! 

Question 1: My question is about their polyps. So I can very clearly see his polyps extended along the edges and sides of the coral if that makes sense. Super teeny tiny little polyps with tentacles. I also see little "dimples" in the "bowl" part, he's a very textured monti so there are lots of little wrinkles and valleys on the plate with "dimples" all over. The polyps in his "dimples" don't come out as much as the ones on the edge/side. I see the polyps but they are not as tall and spread with the tentacles like the side ones. Is this normal? Or is he getting too much light or maybe too much or not enough flow. I originally put him in the bottom and when I moved him up to permanently mount him his color lightened so I put the light up higher, he's back to being more vivid and he's obviously healthy where he is at but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. I tried a Monti frag years ago but my husbandry was crappy and he never changed color from the dull ugly brown he was and I never saw polyps, he eventually perished and I want to make sure this one doesn't, though my husbandry is ten times better. I actually know what dosing is and how to test and dose correctly now, had no clue back then! I don't currently dose this tank but I'm keeping a sharp eye on my alkalinity, mg, and calcium since this guy seems to be growing so fast.  

Question 2: Do these guys enjoy being fed with coral food like reef roids? I occasionally offer the LSP and softies reef roids with target feeding, not sure if the Monti will want it or just get irritated that particles are on his plate. 

Thanks for the help! I'm very new to SPS, but quite attached to this fellow for his bright vivid coloring, and I'm not used to dealing with something with such tiny polyps where it is difficult for me to tell how happy he is, not to mention SPS's difficult care reputation proceeds it so I'm wary of him. I can tell across the room if the frogspawn is PO'd about something. 

1. More polyp extension does not necessarily entail healthier and happier coral. Sure, it has a lot to say but if you are already seeing growth and no color change, then I would not worry about it. It may still be acclimating (don’t know how long you’ve had it?)

Every specimen is different, I have two caps and the one with the “smallest” PE is the fastest grower.

2. Mine enjoy reef roids, definitely not needed and I would not go out of the way to target feed them - they will grow just fine without. Could just stir up the sand once a week and that should do it.

I broadcast feed my tank with target feeding certain corals.

I don't target feed the sps because often they close their polyps up when you blow the mixture on them.

I let them feed off of the roids floating in the water.

A Little Blue

Easy, fast growers, most light/flow conditions, no need to feed, more tolerant   to neglect than other SPS corals. 

But make it a habit to keep your  water chemistry relatively stable for long term success. 

• 1 month later...
DOJOLOACH
On 4/2/2019 at 5:29 PM, A Little Blue said:

Easy, fast growers, most light/flow conditions, no need to feed, more tolerant   to neglect than other SPS corals. 

But make it a habit to keep your  water chemistry relatively stable for long term success. 

Is 1ppm phosphate going to be too high? My montis are bleaching and under moderate light... Only thing out of wack is the phospahte

A Little Blue
11 hours ago, DOJOLOACH said:

Is 1ppm phosphate going to be too high? My montis are bleaching and under moderate light... Only thing out of wack is the phospahte

It might. DKH fluctuation might be another thing too. 

12 hours ago, DOJOLOACH said:

Please post all of your most recent test results, including at least phosphates, nitrates, calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.  

Posting your light levels in lux units (or PAR, depending on the meter you have.)

(It's not likely you have the level of phosphates you posted.)