Pod Your Reef

HELPPPPPP!!!!

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

My favorite long tentacle nem just now got sucked into my wavemaker. I caught him before anything serious happened. A few of his tentacles got shredded, but his foot is not damaged at all. Will he make it? What should I do?

image.jpg

image.jpg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

It’s not even entire tentacles, it’s just the tips off of a few. The tips were floating around the tank and one of my acans had one in his mouth. He was eating it, hopefully nothing dies. I already did a 50 percent water change.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

He is still very sticky and very much alive. He is still swinging his tentacles around and recoils when he gets scared.

This happened to my BTA last night, sadly.

From what I've gathered, across numerous forum posts, sites and literature I've been able to find:

- Turn powerhead off. Keep it off until you have a proper intake cover AND your anemone is visibly firmly attached to rock or substrate (even with powerhead cover, if you see your anemone roaming around, it is best to turn it off and let them find their new spot to attach) -- seriously, I'd been monitoring and keeping my powerhead on only when I was in the room and mine managed to unfoot itself and get sucked up without notice within seconds.

- Options for intake covers: some powerheads manufacture foam covers (check if yours has one). Other solutions are to order knee high panty hose to cover powerhead with (this did not work for my power head at all, even at max power, BUT loads of people swear by this solution). Look up strawberry baskets or plastic planter cups -- these can be used to cover your powerhead completely (can either glue to wall over your powerhead -- I'm going to try and zip tie it through the slits of my powerhead though so it is still removable).

- If you have poly fill, add or replace to your filter chamber with new

- Add carbon or refresh to filtration help pull out the zooxanthellae//debris from the shredded bits from your tank

- Am not too well read on long tentacle nems, but if it is a rock grasping nem (like BTA's) -- try to place it on a rock you think will be a good spot for it. If it is already attached somewhere -- do not pry it off as you could damage the foot.

Good to call out -- if this happens again, never try to pull your anemone out of the powerhead. Turn powerhead, set it down and let it try to untwist itself out. Mine untwisted from a nasty tie up last night in less than 30mins. Give them time to work it out -- if it's apparent they can't get out, or aren't attempting to -- then you may have to cut them or disassemble the powerhead to release them.

Sounds like your anemone didn't have too much damage. If it starts to look like it is "melting" (google image search dying anemone) -- pull it from your tank ASAP as it means it's going to die and the decomposition will kill everything in your tank.

I just posted a LOT of detail on what I did to my latest journal entry, feel free to refer to it with some more detail on what I've seen -- again, I'm quite new so if any seasoned reefers disagree with my recs, take their advice! Just passing along my findings

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I wasn’t able to get a cover for the powerhead, I tried pantyhose, but those didn’t work for me. He was attached to the glass under the substrate and has been that way for a while. He just randomly uprooted himself for some reason. Thank you for your input.

45 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I wasn’t able to get a cover for the powerhead, I tried pantyhose, but those didn’t work for me. He was attached to the glass under the substrate and has been that way for a while. He just randomly uprooted himself for some reason. Thank you for your input.

Going to want to find a powerhead solution. Anomenes famously will pick up and move for any number of reasons — including no reason at all. It’s HIGHLY likely this will happen again if you don’t come up with a cover solution. Odds are you won’t be there next time to quickly catch it...

2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

My favorite long tentacle nem just now got sucked into my wavemaker. I caught him before anything serious happened. A few of his tentacles got shredded, but his foot is not damaged at all. Will he make it? What should I do?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not much you can do but keep an eye on it. If it starts to look mushy pull it out. I would suggest no anemones at least for awhile. Get everything else dialed in just right. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I found him this morning all puffed up looking pretty healthy, but he was detached from the substrate. I left the wavemaker off 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear there is improvement.

i set up my anemone tank to house no powerheads, i was too worried since they like moving whenever they feel like it. lol 

I didn't want to cover a powerhead because that requires more maintenance.

Someone should sell powerhead guards!

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Glad to hear there is improvement.

i set up my anemone tank to house no powerheads, i was too worried since they like moving whenever they feel like it. lol 

I didn't want to cover a powerhead because that requires more maintenance.

Someone should sell powerhead guards!

How did you get enough flow from that?