ReefCleaners.org

SeaClear 30 Show Acrylic (no sump) Build

Mark2k

I started a pretty basic 30 gallon reef aquarium and decided I’d post my updates here to help anyone along the way who is trying to create a similar build.

I’m using:

SeaClear 30 gallon Show Acrylic

Nature’s Ocean Dry rock

CaribSea Fiji Pink Sand

Instant Ocean Sea Salt

Tetra Whisper IQ 60 gallon

Aqua Life 115 mini protein skimmer

Via Aqua 200-watt

2 Sun JVP power heads

RO/DI 4 stage from Aquatic Life

Lighting- nothing yet! This will be added towards the end of the cycle. 

There will be no sump. 

My most important part is to cycle this slowly and correctly to get this right. It will not be rushed so that no fish or corals will be harmed. My process is pretty normal, but has a few different steps that I hope some will find useful.

I’m beginning my cycle with a raw shrimp hanging in what I’m afraid to admit is an old sock off the top of the tank. 80 drops of ammonium chloride (Dr. Tims brand) were added to kick things off. I added in Dr. Tim’s on day 1 and 1 cap of Microbac7 on day 3. Personally, I don’t believe there is anyway that someone can cycle a tank in 24-48 hours with these “quick cycle” additives. I only added them to help build the bacterial colonies which will take anywhere from 4-8 weeks.

Day 4 of cycle-

Salinity- 1.023

PH- 8.2

Ammonia- 4.00

Nitrite- 0.30

Nitrate- 25

Phosphate- 0.1

I will update this thread over the next few weeks/months.

IMG_1082.jpeg

Looks pretty lame with no lights and a bare tank. It'll get there. I wanted to be as open about this build as possible.

Update at 10 months. 1/12/20.

reef.jpeg

reef2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 9/9/2019 at 11:44 AM, Mark2k said:

Update at 6 months. 30gallon.thumb.jpeg.47cf2665c10adaec632db5fa4429e20b.jpeg

that's an epic 6-month update.  the dimension of that tank is very close to IM30L, same aquascape footprint, but I like that this tank has a bit more height space.  have you found yourself adding any equipment to the original ones posted?  the original was nice and simple, looks like there were a powerhead, a heater and a HOB.     Which lighting did you end up with?

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 9/10/2019 at 10:54 PM, mitten_reef said:

that's an epic 6-month update.  the dimension of that tank is very close to IM30L, same aquascape footprint, but I like that this tank has a bit more height space.  have you found yourself adding any equipment to the original ones posted?  the original was nice and simple, looks like there were a powerhead, a heater and a HOB.     Which lighting did you end up with?

Thank you! I went with a Chinese black box from amazon calls Wills 165W long LED. It was only $100 and it's growing acros, montis, and other sps corals just fine.  

I've changed a few things along the way. I ditched the HOB filter after a few months and replaced it with a eheim pro canister filter and added a HOB protein skimmer. It's such a simple set up. I do a 5 gallon water change every 2 weeks and clean out the canister filter. I don't use an auto dose either. Everyday, I add 17ml 2 part in the morning and check the levels once a week. Alk stays at a solid 8.5, cal at 420, and mag is a bit high at 1430.