Innovative Marine Aquariums

Paired clowns aggressive with new mandarin goby?

Lorin

I’ve had a pair of clowns for about 3 years now .. over that time period I’ve lost a blue tang, lawnmower blenny, and a diamond spotted goby. I was down to the 2 clowns, flame hawkfish, and a coral banded shrimp. Yesterday I introduced a mandarin goby and noticed what appeared to be my clowns acting aggressive?? Or are they just being curious? They’ve followed the goby around pretty much non stop and the goby just hides in the rocks. When i turned the light off last night i noticed that the goby did seem to come out and swim a bit more.. should i be concerned? Are the clowns aggressive or is this just a mix of the goby being in a bit of shock from introduction to a new tank?

btw my tank is 80 gal 

Clowns are odd fish. Each one is different.

My pair have never been aggressive with any other addition except my midas blenny. The female will go after him but he does go into her area, otherwise they are fine with others.

My other clown in my 10g never goes after anyone, super cool fish.

Now I have had 3 other clowns over the years that by themselves or in pairs were horribly aggressive.

So ya, its possible that your clowns have gotten territorial. I would think in an 80g you'd have less issues.

Ya, the mandarin will take time getting used to its new home. 

One thing you could do is remove the clowns and reintroduce them in a few days.

No coral in the tank. It does seem like the mandarin is starting to get a little more comfortable and not hiding so much... I haven’t seen the clowns actually attack the mandarin, they’re just following him around everywhere. I thought about taking the clowns out for a few days but I don’t have another tank to keep them in. How often should I be putting pods in the tank for the mandarin? I’ve been adding them every day but i think they’re getting eaten pretty quickly. 

On 3/24/2019 at 11:32 AM, Lorin said:

No coral in the tank. It does seem like the mandarin is starting to get a little more comfortable and not hiding so much... I haven’t seen the clowns actually attack the mandarin, they’re just following him around everywhere. I thought about taking the clowns out for a few days but I don’t have another tank to keep them in. How often should I be putting pods in the tank for the mandarin? I’ve been adding them every day but i think they’re getting eaten pretty quickly. 

Add a refugium and dose some phyto/feed the pods and get them growing in your DT. Plant some macroalgae if you can. This fish can live 10+ years if cared for properly.