SaltCritters.com

Hospital/quarantine tank

scrappy34

I've had my tank set up for a little while now.. I am a gambling man and never quarantined any of my 4 current fish, 1) due to space limitations and 2) ignorance. Like most lessons in life, things are usually learned by experience. I have a small Jawfish from divers den being delivered on Saturday, and I'm also worried that a couple of my current fish are showing signs of flukes or something else nasty.

1) yesterday I noticed my firefish has a torn up side fin and a medium sized white growth near the dorsal fin. I'm hoping this is just fin rot or a crab injury, which can be healed with melafix. I also bought some kent marine garlic xtreme, my local petco/petsmart had no other good medications available. (I have a picture of the side fin, I don't have a picture of the white spots yet) 

2) 2 days ago I noticed my tail spot blenny has a couple of medium sized white spots, however it does not look like a growth. maybe just a scratch from a rock or coral sting..  picture in second post. 

Ive read the stickies and articles about setting up quarantine tanks and rushed to the store yesterday.

-5g tank w/ mechanical filter (will use filter floss inside)

-10w heater

-air pump 

-something for fish to hide in

-melafix

-garlic 

I still need to buy some copper meds and prazipro just in case this is flukes or ich. 

ok, now I have questions. 

1) I need to use this 5g tank to heal my sick fish with melafix/other meds and to quarantine my new Jawfish. how should I do this? the small tank will be crowded.

2) biological filter, can I use a week old filter floss from my display tank? how often should I replace this with new dirty floss from my DT?

3) should I even use melafix on my blenny and firefish? or just my firefish? or neither? I don't have any other medicine, but will try to find some today. 

4) can I combine medications? Melafix, prazipro, and copper treatment?