Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Crash-proofing

TorontoTim

Hi all! I’m cycling my EVO 13.5 and trying to come up with some safeguards. Not really ready to go for the APEX, so does anyone have a recommendation for:

1) a backup power supply to run the return pump and aerate the water?

2) a controller to shut down power to the heater if fails in the “on” mode?

3) any other products I should consider?

Thanks!

Tim

Some use ecotech pumps with the battery backup 

Others rely on battery run air pump and stone for power outage, some use expensive batteries or generators.

Some of these only work if you are home.

Heaters, alot of us use controllers. I use the inkbird.

MainelyReefer

Cobalt Aquatics DC Air Pumps (DC USB Air Pump) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRDJ3TG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nU2KCb524MFRY

this airpump is great, likely the cheapest battery backup around and if you don’t run it all the time it senses the outage and turns on with 24hrs of battery, plus its easily charged through USB.  I also run the MP10 with battery backup in my DT but still need the air pump for the sump.  

I would definitely consider a controller of some sort for the heater, my go to has been Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper but they are out of business so apex is the standard for a more comprehensive controller.  Never got an ink bird because the number of options always scares me that I’m buying the one with the wrong temp sensor.  I would just research which inkbird model to get if going that route as I think some temp sensors have to be siliconed to be reef safe?  

Edit:liveaquaria sells the air pump for 20$

I would go with vortech pump with battery back up and a csxc-1 chiller incase your heater fails.  My evo runs at 73-76 with three pumps and a ice cap gyre no heater.  With heater on and all 4- t5 tubes and LED's set at 100% @4hrs my tank gets to 80.5....but tank stays at 77.9 daily on average. I plan on getting the CSXC-1 for the summer.    

On 3/21/2019 at 1:15 AM, TorontoTim said:

Hi all! I’m cycling my EVO 13.5 and trying to come up with some safeguards. Not really ready to go for the APEX, so does anyone have a recommendation for:

1) a backup power supply to run the return pump and aerate the water?

2) a controller to shut down power to the heater if fails in the “on” mode?

3) any other products I should consider?

Thanks!

Tim

Are you in Toronto Ontario?

You most likely won't need a chiller if so.

AC alone in the summer will keep the tank stable. 

A controller is highly recommended.

I use the inkbird itc-308. Works great. I did silicone the probe but half of it's gone on one. It's not rusted at all.

Friend of mine lost 90% of his big SPS shallow reef because a car lost control over a weekend, hit a telephone pole down the street, caused a power surge that blew his heater up in the tank and RTN'd all SPS in 24 hours. 

The moral of the story-  you can only plan for so much.  Auto top offs and dosers tend to cause the most grief when they malfunction.

A UPS and low current pump or big airstone and pump would be in my emergency kit.

burtbollinger
  • ecotech pumps with the battery backup 
  • reefkeeper lite (no longer made) so at least an inkbird for the heater
  • the game changer...a decent power inverter, a powerstrip and extension cord in trunk of car.  stuff happens...turn on car, plug in power inverter, run the extention cable into house, and plug in heater and pump.  this has saved me 2x in the past year.
  • numerous frozen water bottles in the freezer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UFERZKO/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:
  • the game changer...a decent power inverter, a powerstrip and extension cord in trunk of car.  stuff happens...turn on car, plug in power inverter, run the extention cable into house, and plug in heater and pump.  this has saved me 2x in the past year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UFERZKO/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that was easy 🙂

4 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

We have no idling laws here. So if the car has to keep running, that's an issue 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
burtbollinger
7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

We have no idling laws here. So if the car has to keep running, that's an issue 

sweet Missouri freedom!

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies! I didn’t mean to post and disappear 🙂 I like the Inkbird product and will be acquiring one soon. As for backup flow, I’ll spend some time evaluating the good options that have been suggested. And yes I’m in Toronto, Ontario

Depending on how much stuff you need to kick in at a power loss your best bet is probably a UPS. 

Something like this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1000AVRLCD-Intelligent-Outlets-Mini-Tower/dp/B000QZ3UG0/ref=sr_1_3?crid=23RNQT7TXJTGO&keywords=900va+ups&qid=1554139698&s=gateway&sprefix=900va+%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-3

A UPS will allow you to not be at home, it has a line sense on it, and kicks in when the power is not on.  

Then when power is restored the battery will go back to charging.

The Computer IT industry uses them a lot on things like servers to give Admins enough time to save and cycle the PC off, or hold them though the power outtage.  

Most UPS can run everything including the heater if you get a sufficient one. 

They typically have 7ah x 12v = 84WH x 2 = 168WH * .8 ~ 134.4wh of charge. 

That means you run a combined wattage of 134.4 watts for 1 hour give or take a couple minutes, before the ups dies. 

Double the time if running half the watts and half the time if running double. 

Basically unless your running that 200-300W heater on a freezing winter, a typical UPS can hold you out for a while on just power heads and pump.  

They just do not like to get wet, so i would not suggest you run next to a tank. 

You can run an extension cord paired with a multi strip off a battery outlet, to keep the UPS away from the tank, as well as put it ontop of a shoe holder or something to raise it off the floor incase of a flood. 

1 hour ago, TorontoTim said:

Thanks for all the replies! I didn’t mean to post and disappear 🙂 I like the Inkbird product and will be acquiring one soon. As for backup flow, I’ll spend some time evaluating the good options that have been suggested. And yes I’m in Toronto, Ontario

So being in Toronto, you have infrequent power outages? 

I have just back up battery run air pumps, bottles of frozen water for the summer and blankets to wrap the tank in the winter.

In the event we do have a power outage