ReefCleaners.org

Lighting or Flow upgrade?

MTF7

Lighting or Flow upgrade?   

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should I upgrade lighting or Flow first?

I currently have a single AI prime on my IM lagoon 25, and a single MP-10.

I see pretty good growth from my SPS coral ( besides shadowing/ shading) Should I Upgrade my Flow first or add another AI prime? 

I’d most likely get a Nero 5 and run both the MP-10 and Nero pretty low 

1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Are you running the mp10 at full?

No, using short pulse with about 60% power, I could go higher but the problem arises that it seems like everything is getting pulled to the Powerhead, the Nero would be to add a second source of flow to create currents from both the MP-10 and my return 

uhhh what??? I have 0 clue why people are voting flow...

SPS tank that is only 25g people..... MP10 has a 1500gph flow rate.... not including whatever the return pump flow is. LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT. AI Primes produce decent light but they are not that strong of a unit. They are like what... 45watts max? And that is if you are using the whites at 100% which I doubt you are. 

60% of 1500gph is 900gph over 25g of water making it a 36x flow rate. 

If you are already are having shadowing issues I vote light. 

Am I missing something here? Is flow more important than light? 

• Like 1

I have a MP10 on my IM25g for LPS which is fine but its not enoguh for a SPS heavy tank imo. You could run it at 100% but I would not recommend it, and it's still only one powerhead source (besides return pump).

Flow is just as important as light, some people say more so. 

I have a gyre on my 22g SPS but adding a MP10 soon.

I am interested to see the nero on a nano but will say you are missing out on syncing two wireless MP10 unless you have an apex you can run the current MP10 and Nero on. 

4 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

uhhh what??? I have 0 clue why people are voting flow...

SPS tank that is only 25g people..... MP10 has a 1500gph flow rate.... not including whatever the return pump flow is. LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT. AI Primes produce decent light but they are not that strong of a unit. They are like what... 45watts max? And that is if you are using the whites at 100% which I doubt you are. 

60% of 1500gph is 900gph over 25g of water making it a 36x flow rate. 

If you are already are having shadowing issues I vote light. 

Am I missing something here? Is flow more important than light? 

I agree. I vote for a 2nd light or upgrade and just ramp up the mp10.

• Thanks 1
A Little Blue

I have to disagree with light as a crucial component in this case. Sure, another light option might and probably will be on the table in the near future but..... At this point, it's just a grow out tank with minimal shading and probably a verity of corals that don't need that 400+ PAR. I would also like to point out that you could get away with 150 PAR for most coral species, including most SPS kind. Ofcause, this is my personal, anecdotal take on it. Flow is more complicated than gallons per hour, so is the wattage of the light and we could go into it in more detail if someone like to explore those elements in a bit more detail. 

Also should mention I have have a Mixed tank, SPS up as high as possible and LPS on the sand, my SPS don’t have any shading on them ( other than from growing) but you can tell they are growing from one light source. 

My setosa grows like a weed, and starting to see the same with my Green Slimer, Millie’s have trippled in 4 weeks, my most PAR hungry is my pink lemonade and my clam 

I’d probably consider a second light. I’m using a light with a similar pattern to the Prime, but with a slightly wider pattern. I’m looking at another light due to having issues with the back side of the corals losing color and growth mostly on one side.

Tuan’s Reef

Voted for lighting. I had only 1 AI prime on my Nuvo 20. Major shadowing issues . 

Even with 2 AI primes I can see shadowing.  

Next upgrade will be the Radions XR30 

you our can get away with 1 mp10 and a koralia nano until you get another mp10

i am in the same boat. Deciding to upgrade to the Radions now or buy another MP10 so I can have really nice flow. 

I have the koralia on the opposite end of the mp10 and it has worked will.