Pod Your Reef

Matt’s 14 Peninsula

MattL87

Newb to the saltwater world, tried a couple times and failed. Doing it better this time, I’ve  had the tank setup for about 4 months now and so far so good. Wanted to make this thread to keep track of it and hopefully learn some stuff from everyone here!

Equipment:
IM peninsula 14 tank
Syncra Silent .5 return pump
Neptune Apex with PH, Salinity, Temp, ORA probes
Finex 50w Titanium heater
Kessil A80 Blue
Tunze ATO
InTank media basket with filter floss and chemi pure blue nano
Bag of seachem matrix in chamber 2

Creatures:
Yellow watchman Goby (Named Grumpy)
Cleaner shrimp (Shrimpy)
1 Turbo snail
1 Nasarius snail

Right now I'm thinking the A80 isn't enough light and want to switch it to a Prime HD, any thoughts on that? And also maybe upgrading the sycra silent .5 to the 1.0.

009EECB8-8D45-45C6-9783-B26C858B2605.jpeg

29A3E4B3-0276-4AA8-B83F-E1BB38FE79F8.jpeg

F4345CD3-38CD-44A1-AA93-8991B12678EA.jpeg

0A0281DD-5359-4773-9BCB-3CEFFCF6DA08.jpeg

• Like 2
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

What's making you think the a80 isn't enough? From the pictures it looks like good coverage. 

Very nice tank by the way. 

1 hour ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

What's making you think the a80 isn't enough? From the pictures it looks like good coverage. 

Very nice tank by the way. 

Truthfully I’m not sure. New to this but I see a lot of people saying it’s not a strong light and corals like full specrtrum. Figured since the prime hd is only around $200 that I might upgrade it. 

NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

Everyone’s got an opinion and some are definitely more experienced than myself, but your corals looks happy in the pictures. Maybe if you intend getting on more SPS it’d be worth the upgrade, as it stands it looks like you’ve got the setup to support all the corals currently in your system IMO.

Wouldn’t be anything wrong with upgrading if you want though. Either way best of luck and keep posting!

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @MattL87, thanks for sharing your nano reef! It looks like you're off to a great beginning. How has the watchman goby been doing so far?

He’s awesome! We named him grumpy because he just hangs in his cave and frowns at you all day. Until feeding time at least lol. 

We wanted to add another fish that swam around but everything we liked at the fish store said needed 20+ gallon tanks online. So we kind of gave up on the fish buying side and started adding corals. 

22 minutes ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Everyone’s got an opinion and some are definitely more experienced than myself, but your corals looks happy in the pictures. Maybe if you intend getting on more SPS it’d be worth the upgrade, as it stands it looks like you’ve got the setup to support all the corals currently in your system IMO.

Wouldn’t be anything wrong with upgrading if you want though. Either way best of luck and keep posting!

Thank you for the info, I haven’t really seen anything negative, corals always look good so I’ll just skip the prime until I see something change!

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, MattL87 said:

He’s awesome! We named him grumpy because he just hangs in his cave and frowns at you all day. Until feeding time at least lol. 

We wanted to add another fish that swam around but everything we liked at the fish store said needed 20+ gallon tanks online. So we kind of gave up on the fish buying side and started adding corals. 

Thank you for the info, I haven’t really seen anything negative, corals always look good so I’ll just skip the prime until I see something change!

The grumpiest looking little fish, but they seem to have such huge personalities because of it!! Looking good so far to me, count me as +1 to not changing your lighting just yet

• Like 1

So my SO would like some clownfish in our tank. I like the coral side of things but she wants something swimming around. 

So would I be able to get a pair of clownfish in my tank. Or would that be to much since I have a yellow watchman and a shrimp already?

Little update, got a Polyp Lab filter for my phone to get rid of some of the blue in the pictures. Added two new corals and rearranged  the scape a bit. 

New corals are an octopus coral and not really sure what the other one is, it looks like little flowers. Some time of lps I'm assuming. It's the one above the goby's cave. 

Also if you notice on the glass there are thousands of those copepods, even when I clean the glass they are back the next day. Is it bad to have to many? And how do I lessen them so they aren't on the glass. Makes the tank look dirty!

IMG_E2935.JPG

IMG_E2936.JPG

IMG_2937.JPG