Pod Your Reef

Hikari Frozen Daphnia - Now Living In My Tank?

Rip3618

My two new clowns weren’t eating so my LFS gave me some Hikari frozen Daphnia to get them chewing. It worked and they gobbled it up. Apparently, not enough because now I think the Daphnia are living in my tank!   Is this even possible as they were frozen?  Or am I losing my mind?  Lol. 

Again, I’m pretty sure this is Daphnia on my aquarium glass because this was going on until after I fed my fish the Daphnia. Should I be concerned?  How do I get rid of it?

2735656B-965F-4CC4-AF90-D643C932B196.jpeg

That looks like a phtyoplankton bloom. (Copepod) Though could be sea fleas as you suggest.

I'm experiencing the same thing at the moment, I'm not sure exactly the reason.

I recently restructured my tank, bought some frags, put Rowaphos back online and added a scheduled moonlight. One or all of these are the reasons for the bloom. It's starting to recede but I've been cleaning the glass every second day. (Looks like algae but feels coarser)

That being said you are probably losing your mind. They won't hurt anything AFAIK.

Those are copepods. Maybe they bloomed after u started feeding daphnia because of more detritus, which could mean more algae / phytoplankton that the copepods eat.

• Like 3
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

Let them be, they eat bad stuff in your tank and are a good part of building a mini ecosystem. When food gets scarce they’ll naturally decrease to numbers appropriate to the environment, and vise versa.