Innovative Marine Aquariums

Skimmer and Lights recomendation (IM 25lagoon)

GrumpyDaddy68

GrumpyDaddy68

Hi all,

I'm planning to build this tank (IM 25 lagoon) in the next coming months and I would like to start by buying some equipment:

I have a couple questions for you:

Skimmer

- What Skimmer do you recommend? I am leaning for a Tunze 9001 or Desktop Nuvo DC Protein Skimmer

If I go with the 9001; what about DC or non-DC?

Lights

- I'm planning to have soft corals (LPS), anemones ; not much into (SPS)...... yet!!

I'm thinking one AI Prime HD or one Kessil A160we

I would really appreciate your comments.

Thanks in advance,

Jorge

I don't use skimmers so can't help there.

I love the Ai lights. No need to buy a controlled, many functions. 

1 will work. I have 2 on mine now but my rockwork design was the reason for that

• 2 weeks later...

I am using the 'new' Desktop Nuvo DC Protein Skimmer and it started skimming nicely within days and I have not noticed any micro bubbles. 

For lighting I use the Radion XR15w G4.  Adjusted the hanging height for the spread to reach all four corners of the tank bottom.  Have it running at 80% and critters (including RBTA) seem to be happy.  Yes, there are places on the outer edges that could be considered 'shaded' by the rock work but that is okay, some corals prefer that. 

Jerome

I have the IM 30L and just got the Nuvoskim a couple days ago. So far I really like it. It's my first skimmer so it's nice how simple it is. The only adjustment is the rubber ring to adjust the collection cup height. 

I run a Nano Box Duo and previously ran a Reef Octopus NS80 on mine. Great skimmer,cheap and reliable. Mine still works well if I put it back in,I took it off as I didnt think I needed one really with current setup.

GrumpyDaddy68

Thanks you all,

I just ordered the Desktop Nuvo DC skimmer and I got the AI Prime HD (I'm not planning any SPS anytime soon).

Got the tank and stand this week... I just finished putting together the stand (IM APS)... not completely happy with the door magnets.

• Like 1