Cultivated Reef

Don’t let this be what I think it is??

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m pretty sure that this is a asterina star, but I want to make sure. I don’t understand how he even got in here, this would be my first hitchhiker. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

4 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Does anyone have any identification on whether it’s a good one or a bad one?

Even the "good ones" can accidentally nuke or annoy corals due to how they just dissolve whatever is under their mouths, and once you have a bunch those accidents cause real damage. Though I can't really talk since I keep a healthy population in my 50 to feed my harlequin shrimp. Just pick off any I see near my Zoa's. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 minutes ago, Griever said:

Even the "good ones" can accidentally nuke or annoy corals due to how they just dissolve whatever is under their mouths, and once you have a bunch those accidents cause real damage. Though I can't really talk since I keep a healthy population in my 50 to feed my harlequin shrimp. Just pick off any I see near my Zoa's. 

Well I might keep him

I had ONE that ate zoa's and it was big ugly and brown. The white ones I have eat algae. Most eat algae and are beneficial and cute, I love them!

If I get a rescue coral with dead/dying tissue, I see them cleaning it up in the dead area and it seems to help the coral recover since they keep algae away and eat anything rotting. 

• Like 1
Just now, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Well I might keep him

Just keep an eye out. I’ve had them and they were no big deal. If they turn out to be bad, pull them out. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

I had ONE that ate zoa's and it was big ugly and brown. The white ones I have eat algae. Most eat algae and are beneficial and cute, I love them!

If I get a rescue coral with dead/dying tissue, I see them cleaning it up in the dead area and it seems to help the coral recover since they keep algae away and eat anything rotting. 

2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Just keep an eye out. I’ve had them and they were no big deal. If they turn out to be bad, pull them out. 

He’s a white one, not very dark colors. I’ll keep my eye on him.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

He’s a white one, not very dark colors. I’ll keep my eye on him.

He is probably making a buffet out of the algae on your glass right now lol

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Tamberav said:

He is probably making a buffet out of the algae on your glass right now lol

Yea, very helpful for now

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Most are harmless. 

The white ones keep everything clean. I have alot ot them, I've not had issues with mine.

Ok, then I’ll keep him, he’s white on the inside, and a little grey and white on his backside.