Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bristle worm or fire worm? Or other? Hitchhiker help!

pricewayne

Hi! I have a hitchhiker coming in on live rock. Based on the ID thread it appears like a bristle worm or fire worm?

It’s front piece is a light red — has white-ish spikes from its sides — and then back portion of its body is a darker red (looks like its digesting something perhaps).

Tried turning brightness up on pics — he’s hiding out in the shadows!!

1608C6B9-4122-48CB-9851-45D1B6717E3E.jpeg

B0909BEA-DEB2-488B-BDFD-7A878E8400B9.jpeg

PS, this is my first saltwater! LOVING it and am working on my first journal entry in next few days. Reading up on these forums has been life saving!!

Don't even worry about it, that looks pretty standard. It is indeed a bristle worm. Some of the ones I have have bright red on the front portion and the back 2/3 or so is purple-ish - they look real similar to that one. They'll just eat scraps and detritus and stuff and they can get really big. But shouldn't cause any problems and will serve as part of your clean up crew. Check the tank after the lights are out and you'll see them lurking around.

8 minutes ago, WhatsReef said:

Don't even worry about it, that looks pretty standard. It is indeed a bristle worm. Some of the ones I have have bright red on the front portion and the back 2/3 or so is purple-ish - they look real similar to that one. They'll just eat scraps and detritus and stuff and they can get really big. But shouldn't cause any problems and will serve as part of your clean up crew. Check the tank after the lights are out and you'll see them lurking around.

Phew, thank you so much! Keep reading the bristleworms are a great addition//good sign of healthy tank.. the fire worms, not so much lol.

• 1 year later...

I just put a live rock 3 days ago starting the nitrogen cycle and turned the lights on and saw about 5 they look the same as the picture about should I be worried I have a 5 gallon tank