Innovative Marine Aquariums

Split return pump for refugium ?

Eric_n_ga

Waiting on my tank to cycle has me looking at projects to complete . So I'm thinking about a HOB refugium/ cheato /pod farm  for my 29oceanic .

Looking at most of the ones available they appear to be made for a standard aquairium vs aio cubes . I'd like to set one up to hang off the rear compartment but for it to spill over directly to the tank not the return as I believe the pods would get destroyed in the return pump . Also as space is an issue I was thinking of T-ing off the Rio 6hf with a small line and adjustment valve to pump water into the fuge  

eliminating the need for another pump . That would give me a nice slow flow in and out .Anyone done anything like this yet ? 

Looking at the all acrylic vs plastic as I can heat and manipulate the return spout on acrylic or cut it off and add a longer return slide to go over the top of rear Chambers .  Looking at the cpr aqua fuge ,med size . 

All this cause the wife likes manderians 😁

For your needs, CPR is the way to go.  I recently put one on my 120G.  

I have many HOB filter gutted to be high energy/high flow refugium.  Pods do not require low flow.  They multiply just fine in a high energy environment.  I use AquaClear 70 & 110 and get a good light source.  Also, I suggest small rock rubble on bottom to provide a matrix for bio films to cover. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks . I was thinking low flow more for giving the fuge time to work . My concern for the pods was sucking them through the return pump . Looks like the med size will fit good for me . 

Eric,

I thought pods were supposed to get sucked into display tank.  The logic that macro refugiums require high flow is incorrect.  

Poured vs sucked . 

Think the survival rate is probably way higher if poured back in vs through a 350gph pump ?yes I agree on the not needing high flow for the fuge .