inTank Media Baskets

Bacterial bloom for almost 2 weeks?

AkOndray

I have a waterbox 15G that's been set up for almost 2 months now. I started with dry rock and live sand and cycled fast with Dr Tim's and bio spira, and have since added a pistol shrimp and goby pair, a leather coral, some zoas, and a small torch and frog spawn colony from an established system.

Out of nowhere the water got extremely cloudy. I decided the best thing to do was to let it runs it's course. It's been almost 2 weeks now with no water changes and it's still so bad I can barely see the back of the tank from the front.

I've been limiting feeding to only a few pellets every other day but other then that, I don't know what to do without risking starving the goby and shrimp.

Should I just hold out without doing water changes or is there something else I should be doing since it's gone on for this long?

Tuan’s Reef

You have a bacterial bloom.  Uv sterilizer should clear the water .

I have a nuvo 20 aio and got a the drop in UV sterilizer . Was only 9w but it cleared my water in 36hrs

why are you not wanting to do a water change?

Feed the fish the bacterial bloom will go away. I had one in my tank and I let it go for about a week and I put in a large amount of carbon and that made a pretty large difference in clarity overnight.

I just recently added a 24w UV to battle Dino and my tank water now doesnt look like it even has water in it

• Like 1

By your own admission the tank isn't even two months old yet. Because you said "it's almost two months old". You said you used dry rock and the Dr. Tim's method. I don't care what people say but you're not going to get a good solid strong bacteria population with a "fast cycle" using dry rock. In my tank the dry rock and Dr. Tim's method took around 6-8 weeks for my tank to be able to process 2ppm of ammonia in 24 hours. Which is longer than your tank has been set up from what you've said. My tank was wet for 2.5 months before it got it's first fish. My tank is 5 months and some change and I still only have 2 (getting 3rd today) fish and about 12 frags. Your tank has probably only been cycled realistically for about a week or two and you already have a pair of inhabitants in there along with coral in a system with a lot less water volume than mine. My guess is that your tank wasn't ready for that bio load because you rushed the cycle. That's just my guess. Even though you feed sparingly those inhabitants are still creating waste. The uneaten food isn't the only waste in the system. Like mentioned above.......Run some carbon, do water changes and keep up with your maintenance and monitor your parameters and it will sort itself out. Don't starve your fish though.  MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL THOUGH IS TO RESUME WATER CHANGES ASAP. 

• Thanks 1