Top Shelf Aquatics

Can I raise my tank's pH without raising kH????

ConnorD42

Hey everyone, I'm having a dilemma where my Ca and kH levels are perfectly fine (Ca ~440ppm and kH 9), but my pH is sitting right about 8.0. I have been using seachem 2 part and will be until I am co-oping or graduate. I've left my windows open all day and it's brought the pH up maybe 0.03?  I need to raise my pH without spiking kH, what do I do?? (College budget for now, co-op rotation starts in June! Woot!!!) T5HO lighting that is only run 8.5 hours a day. I'm probably missing something obvious I feel like but nothing seems out of place or unhappy. Salinity is 1.025. Nothing visually or chemically has appeared out of place. What do you all think?? Thanks in advance!!

-Connor

Ph fluctuates all day long. Its effected by photosynthesis.

8 is not low.

By chasing ph and trying to alter it with any products will in fact alter other parameters.

If akl is normal, ph is too since they work together.

The safest ways to alter ph, open a window, start a refugium, or more surface water movement, otherwise you run the risk of messing alk which then messes ca.

Many of us don't even test ph because it fluctuates that much.

• Like 2

Well that's a relief haha more surface agitation and open windows definitely seemed to help. I have been meaning to look into starting a refugium soon anyways but I guess I'll have to look into it more now so as to not have the windows open all the time haha. Thanks Clown!

During the winter when we all often keep windows closed, ph levels will change.

It's very important to test ph in the afternoon when lights have been on for a few hrs and every test at the same time.

• Like 1
On 2/26/2019 at 3:40 PM, ConnorD42 said:

Hey everyone, I'm having a dilemma where my Ca and kH levels are perfectly fine (Ca ~440ppm and kH 9), but my pH is sitting right about 8.0. I have been using seachem 2 part and will be until I am co-oping or graduate. I've left my windows open all day and it's brought the pH up maybe 0.03?  I need to raise my pH without spiking kH, what do I do?? (College budget for now, co-op rotation starts in June! Woot!!!) T5HO lighting that is only run 8.5 hours a day. I'm probably missing something obvious I feel like but nothing seems out of place or unhappy. Salinity is 1.025. Nothing visually or chemically has appeared out of place. What do you all think?? Thanks in advance!!

-Connor

You do nothing. ...my pH is 7.8-8.1 throughout the day. pH is fine at whatever it is...it's not even worth testing in most cases. 

• Like 2