Coinee

Properly Pico...what did I just do?

I was at the LFS to buy a test kit and this stuff just appeared in my hand 😉 and next thing you know, I was home with the tank unpacked and full of rock...oh no 🙆‍♂️

Gave the tank a short leak test (about 30 hours) and everything is good (doesn't matter too much though the volume is 3.4 gallons). 

Plans are to cycle this tank separately from my jar (with a bit of live rock) and then put in a CUC then move everything over from my pico jar. Then chuck an Aqua Clear HOB filter on for a refugium with some chaeto. Scape hasn't finalized yet since I have a bit more rock that I am going to play with before I add sand and water. 

20190224_000120.jpg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Coinee said:

I was at the LFS to buy a test kit and this stuff just appeared in my hand 😉 and next thing you know, I was home with the tank unpacked and full of rock...oh no 🙆‍♂️

Gave the tank a short leak test (about 30 hours) and everything is good (doesn't matter too much though the volume is 3.4 gallons). 

Plans are to cycle this tank separately from my jar (with a bit of live rock) and then put in a CUC then move everything over from my pico jar. Then chuck an Aqua Clear HOB filter on for a refugium with some chaeto. Scape hasn't finalized yet since I have a bit more rock that I am going to play with before I add sand and water. 

20190224_000120.jpg

I hate it when that happens. 😄

cute tank. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I hate it when that happens. 😄

cute tank. 

It's this forum's fault...the fault of everyone here! To be honest, I find well-scaped smaller tanks (30 gallons or less) more aesthetically pleasing generally than a lot of the larger tanks. What I enjoy most about this stuff is it cuts my stress a lot (and I enjoy researching things).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Coinee said:

It's this forum's fault...the fault of everyone here! To be honest, I find well-scaped smaller tanks (30 gallons or less) more aesthetically pleasing generally than a lot of the larger tanks. What I enjoy most about this stuff is it cuts my stress a lot (and I enjoy researching things).

It’s true, we all have the aquarium sickness and will always encourage more aquariums!! 😄🤷🏻‍♀️

• Haha 1

Tank looks great! What is the brand and size? Looks like one of those penn plax vertex tanks? I've been curious about those

1 hour ago, Gourami Swami said:

Tank looks great! What is the brand and size? Looks like one of those penn plax vertex tanks? I've been curious about those

Penn Plax Radius 3.4 gallon. You can find it on amazon too in different sizes: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0069RR2CC

The small LED light it comes with is fairly weak but it should probably be fine enough for a refugium.

I hate it when that happens. So does my wife. Kids love it tho

They make this thing in 10 gallons too, for 80 bucks. Seems like it would make a nice little reef. I'll be interested to see how yours turns out!

So, I haven't done anything yet LOL. But my plan this weekend is to fill it with some "live sand" from my jar, some live rock from my jar and some jar water to start my cycle. I'll dose 2 ppm ammonia and leave it sit until it cycles then add a couple snails then get an aquaclear hob filter and set up a small refugium with chaeto (once I source some chaeto from someone on the local reef group). 

This week has been too busy so far and it's just Monday.

I added some sand from my jar into the tank and mixed it with some other dry sand. I started the cycle with some ammonia last night (enough to get about 1.5 ppm). 

The water had 1.5 ppm ammonia and 0 nitrite last night. Today it was at about 1 ppm ammonia and about 1 ppm nitrite. Don't think this cycle will take too long because of the sand. I haven't even added any live rock yet (too lazy to break it up and clean up the mess lol). 

To be honest, if you add cured live rock. You might not even see a cycle.

8 minutes ago, JBM said:

To be honest, if you add cured live rock. You might not even see a cycle.

Yea, I realize that...I'm just lazy and I am kind of doing it this way to buy time to stop me from buying more things hahaha

Just now, Coinee said:

Yea, I realize that...I'm just lazy and I am kind of doing it this way to buy time to stop me from buying more things hahaha

Tried that, went from a 5g, to a 20 long, to a 80 deep in 18 months. I keep running out of space.

37 minutes ago, JBM said:

Tried that, went from a 5g, to a 20 long, to a 80 deep in 18 months. I keep running out of space.

When I graduate from university, find a job (and probably move), I'll probably be getting a 25-30 gallon going. I saw a reefer here with a IM Fusion Lagoon 25 and an IM 30 long and they were really nice tanks, not to mention his coral and fish look amazingly healthy and well kept. Like pristine and flawless, I was amazed. 

Edit:

Measured the params again in my tank. Today ammonia is down to 0.25 ppm and nitrites are up to 2.0 ppm. Everything is processing pretty quickly with just some tank sand. I'm a little surprised...I expected this to take more than a couple weeks! Dammmmnnnn

quick cycle is always a good thing. now just find some quality live rock and the tank will be set

Tested the params yesterday and ammonia and nitrites were 0 ppm. I dosed another 2 ppm of ammonia, gonna let that clear out, do a water change and add a small clean-up crew. I got an Inkbird temp controller that I'm gonna hook up too to see if I can limit temp swings a bit.

The temps seem to swing between 23C and 26C (73.4F and 78.8F) despite the fact the heater claims to keep even a 10 gallon at 26C. What utter BS! It can't even keep a 2 gallon jar at 26C. I have an eheim heater I will be using in place of it. 

Dont feel to bad about the swings. My large reef has a similar swing

• Like 2