Cultivated Reef

Where to get good dry rock?

hotdrop

Im looking to get about 30lb of high quality dry rock to start up a new 30g system. Any recommendations on what to buy?  I was going to get some from reef cleaners but they are sold out for 3 weeks or more.  I dont want any of the painted rock, I have some sitting in a small tank that I bought off CL and it just looks meh. I was going to use it but its also contaminated with aptasia so its a no-go

1 hour ago, Humblefish said:

I like the various dry rock that BRS sells. No matter which kind you buy, acid wash it to remove any stored phosphates/nitrates. 

Ill probably bleach wash but acid washing is probably a bit more dangerous than I want to deal with

3 hours ago, slowngreen said:

Do you have a local fish store? Might check there. My local shop has tons of it.

My lfs has some for pretty cheap it just appears like it may be previously used so copper and other metals might be present

• Like 1

Check out Reefcleaners.com. A nice selection of rock, taken from an inland quarry here in Florida, so no impact on reefs, and very clean. John’s a great resource, very helpful, and inexpensive. Great CUC’s too. I still have a couple of Trochus I got from him almost 4 years ago.

• Like 1

Reefcleaners.org is the best.  Literally rinse to get dust off of them and they are good to go.  While I like the shapes and density of the rock I started my tank with (brs), John's is just as good, was cheaper, and imo cleaner.  

With brs I have select spots of rock that no matter what I do, algae just grows like crazy. I suspect leeching to be the cause.  

I bought mine from Billy's Reef Connection and it was very clean. I did clean and soak them however just to be safe. Had I known that John from Reef Cleaners sold dry rock. I would have no doubt bought it from him. 

On 2/25/2019 at 8:39 AM, hotdrop said:

Yeah i wish reef cleaners was an option but they have a 3 week wait 😞

I would just wait 3 weeks....3 weeks is a small amount if time in the life of the tank and you might as well do it to the best of your ability.

My rock is reef cleaners and I love it. It is now live and covered in coralline...dusters and sponges. No algae issues. Beautiful shapes.

I used caribsea life rock and I love it. Check out my journal if you are interested. I know you said you don't like painted rock, but the paint on this is actually a bacteria to help you cycle and become live. the rock eventually loses some color until coralline algae replaces it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a bit late as you could have ordered Reefcleaners by now, but I’ll add my input for anybody else that comes looking for this info.

Marco Rock is super clean, light, porous, interesting, and clean.

I think the Carib-Sea reef saver is what I got for my current tank. Other than being a bit dusty (nothing some rinsing in DI didn’t fix), it was pretty clean as far as nutrients goes. No detectable phosphates.