Coral Vue Hydros

Do you need to quarantine new crabs/snails?

ECLS Reefer

I’m getting a LiveAquaria shipment of crabs and snails tomorrow and I was just curious- would you quarantine them or just acclimate and introduce them? 

2 minutes ago, Nursecop818 said:

Right? So far I’ve got a majority vote of no quarantine... 

you do? salty says quarantine and granite says don't quarantine...I'd say that's 50/50 confusion!  :wacko:

They don't usually carry any bad hitchhikers. The only things I've seen on snails are vermetids, spirorbid, and coralline algae. 

Just temp acclimate and drop them in.

• Like 1
Just now, Friendly said:

you do? salty says quarantine and granite says don't quarantine...I'd say that's 50/50 confusion!  :wacko:

No I private messaged someone and they said they don’t quarantine inverts so that’s 2:1. Not much of a margin but a small majority. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Just an fyi, I had to have gotten my gorilla crab(at least that's what kind I think it is) in my clean up crew order. Had the tank up for months with nothing at all in it. Ordered my cleanup crew, a couple months later I seen a crab molt and was super confused, thought maybe the molt was stuck in some old sand I had washed to use in the build. Another week or so I seen the crab. Contacted where I got my cleanup crew from just to double check that I didnt order any crabs other than hermits.(It was Reef Cleaners by the way. John is great!)They informed me that the crab could have been in an empty shell in the larval stage. 

So with that being said. I think I would recommend quarantine for basically everything. That crab ended up eating almost all of my clean up crew before I could catch the rascal. Now he lives in my sump all alone and is pretty darn large.

• Wow 2