inTank Media Baskets

what Hanna checkers should I get?

Friendly

being colorblind, the color code systems are difficult...so what Hanna's should I get? there are so many of them that I'm not quite sure which one's I should be gunning for.

• 2 weeks later...

These 3 were recommended everywhere, and the ones i got. 

I got mine as a combo from here:

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/hanna-master-reef-test-kit-758-calcium-755-alkalinity-713-phosphate-checker-hc-saltwater-hanna-instruments/

s_l1000ddd__12854.1448306686.650.650.jpg

You can get the solutions much cheaper at that website as well, and not though amazon, as i think they seriously rape you in price on amazon for the solutions.  

The Ca requires you to use lab grade DI or straight up fresh distilled, otherwise you will get funny readings.    

• Like 1
blizzardscout2

I also recommend these. They are excellent and the reagent refills are not expensive. Testing all 3 parameters takes less than 10 minutes. I am also partially color blind so these make it so I don’t have to ask my wife to tell me the results 😏

I would only get Alkalinity dKH (as opposed to the ppm one pictured above) and the new ULR Phosphate. 

My regular Phosphate always reads 0.0 and after complaining to Hanna, they simply told me that one is really not good for reefs and shouldn't be sold for that purpose.  I also have ULR phosphorus which has better resolution, but the short timeout ensures you will be wasting lots of reagent if you don't always mix it fast enough.  The new ULR Phosphate finally increased the timeout so you can actually use it without a second timer, it reads in Phosphate ppm, which is the units most hobbyists use, and has a good enou. 

Calcium is fine, but for me it is infrequently needed compared to Alkalinity.  If you do regular water changes and keep Alk in line with 2-part, Kalk, or a calcium reactor, I don't personally think Calcium testing is important enough to justify the cost of Hanna, but that's up to you. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the alk one and I love it.  I also have the ULR phosphate which is good.  The problem is the powdered reagents.  Its very difficult to get all the powder into the cuvette without losing lots or having it stick in the packet, also it tends to stick to the top of the cuvette.  For the phosphate test you cant get the powder to dissolve quickly enough to beat the time-out on the checker, its like a race.  I wont get the Calcium one since it uses powder...I use Salifert for that one.

The Alk one is only liquid reagent which is great and its the test I use the most.