SaltCritters.com

What is it??

ECLS Reefer

Ball tip anemone? It came with this spine, and has grown in the month I’ve had this tank. Seems to mind it’s own business, and I’ve noticed a couple other spots of this same thing on rocks pop up and disappear. I asked the LFS lady a couple weeks ago and she said it was a sponge. 

DED4BC91-81AB-45B9-AB14-A07F9A4D7AAE.jpeg

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Nursecop818 said:

Ball tip anemone? It came with this spine, and has grown in the month I’ve had this tank. Seems to mind it’s own business, and I’ve noticed a couple other spots of this same thing on rocks pop up and disappear. I asked the LFS lady a couple weeks ago and she said it was a sponge. 

DED4BC91-81AB-45B9-AB14-A07F9A4D7AAE.jpeg

You need to quit talking to that fish store lady. 😄 not a sponge. 

Probably a ball anemone......Usually they just go away. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Yeah after today that’s a given since she basically told me she’d sell me her stock but implied I’m just going to kill it. I can’t tell you how that made me want to reach over and place hands upon her for some healin’. For gods sake I keep people alive on LIFE SUPPORT, like heart lung bypass type, for a living. I will figure this out. I think she just doesn’t like me cause I’m short. #shortpeopleproblems

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
20 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

You need to quit talking to that fish store lady. 😄 not a sponge. 

Probably a ball anemone......Usually they just go away. 

I don’t want it to go away- I think it’s kind of neat! That particular one has done pretty well so maybe he will hang on. 

• Like 2
Gourami Swami

looks kind of like "pseudocorynactis" anemone, I've got a couple that came in on a frag, looked them up and they seemed pretty harmless so I kept them. Mine have grown a bit and haven't hurt anything or reproduced.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Gourami Swami said:

looks kind of like "pseudocorynactis" anemone, I've got a couple that came in on a frag, looked them up and they seemed pretty harmless so I kept them. Mine have grown a bit and haven't hurt anything or reproduced.

+1 this

I have multiple in my tank on my Zoa rock. They bug the zoanthids a little bit, but nothing to worry about.

I like mine and think they are a pretty cool hitchhiker. Very slow to reproduce and you can use Aiptasia-X to kill them if you ever need to. 

Also, +1 on not listening to your LFS, or go to another one if you can. That is definitely not a sponge any anyone at the store trying to tell you that has no idea what they are doing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh for Pete's sake. Lol. I'd just use her shop for dry goods if the prices are cheaper, but find another reasonable more personable store where the greet you and legitimately inquire about your aquariim. I can't believe she's in business or for much longer. And looking around I think I now have a dozen of these ball anemones. They stay in darker areas and seem harmless .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 months later...

I think it's awesome the way people online (us) dog local fish stores as if we have any clue what it takes to run one.

Instead of harping on that bent, why don't we recognize that this anemone is a nearly unknown organism to the hobby that most people in the hobby could not identify?  (Anyone have a scientific name for this animal? Seems like we're dealing with a made up name: "ball anemone".)

The local fish store did not order the critter, did not sell the critter, so why on earth would you expect that they can identify it correctly? That seems irrational in terms of expectations to have.

On the contrary, the employee mentioned seems to be concerned about their livestock dying in the hands of their customers… That is an excellent quality in a local fish store person.

Many people such as the online sellers will sell any coral or any fish to any person no matter their experience level, tank size or any other factor.   That lack of attention leads to the death of all kinds of organisms, but do we hear anybody bagging on the online sellers for it? Nope. Instead we rave about their live critter guarantees. (Don't need a guarantee if the first one lives. 🙄)

If the livestock your store sells is decent quality, it sounds to me like you have a good local fish store run by people who care about what they do.  Remember that nobody is perfect. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 6:48 PM, Gourami Swami said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corynactis?wprov=sfti1

Seems possible.    Wish we had a better photo to compare.

(good post!)

Does yours glow a bit under actinics? I found 4 spread out along a large piece of live rock. Tow concentric circles in the body fluoresces green with tiny, ball tipped tentacles.

Some zoanthids moved into the neighborhood  recently, so the developer super glued over three of them. The fourth was getting ready for a visit by a rock flower men. Today at lights out when the rfa folded up, it was no where to be seen.

ECLS Reefer
18 hours ago, Garf said:

Does yours glow a bit under actinics? I found 4 spread out along a large piece of live rock. Tow concentric circles in the body fluoresces green with tiny, ball tipped tentacles.

Some zoanthids moved into the neighborhood  recently, so the developer super glued over three of them. The fourth was getting ready for a visit by a rock flower men. Today at lights out when the rfa folded up, it was no where to be seen.

Since that first little pink ball anemone showed up, it's spread all over more than one rock. But it doesn't seem to be annoying anything near it, so I've left it alone. I'm guessing that if any of the corals near them decide they're a pain, the corals will fix that problem themselves. 

ECLS Reefer
On 5/29/2019 at 9:26 AM, mcarroll said:

I think it's awesome the way people online (us) dog local fish stores as if we have any clue what it takes to run one.

Instead of harping on that bent, why don't we recognize that this anemone is a nearly unknown organism to the hobby that most people in the hobby could not identify?  (Anyone have a scientific name for this animal? Seems like we're dealing with a made up name: "ball anemone".)

The local fish store did not order the critter, did not sell the critter, so why on earth would you expect that they can identify it correctly? That seems irrational in terms of expectations to have.

On the contrary, the employee mentioned seems to be concerned about their livestock dying in the hands of their customers… That is an excellent quality in a local fish store person.

Many people such as the online sellers will sell any coral or any fish to any person no matter their experience level, tank size or any other factor.   That lack of attention leads to the death of all kinds of organisms, but do we hear anybody bagging on the online sellers for it? Nope. Instead we rave about their live critter guarantees. (Don't need a guarantee if the first one lives. 🙄)

If the livestock your store sells is decent quality, it sounds to me like you have a good local fish store run by people who care about what they do.  Remember that nobody is perfect. 

I'm pretty sure "ball anemone" isn't a made up name. If you search it, you'll find mention of it on just about every reefing forum available. I guess it's proper name would be pseudocorynactis, but everybody seems to refer to it as a ball tipped anemone, or ball anemone in layman's terms. And as for the LFS lady-she's generally rude and overbearing. That's just her. If you saw my other threads you'd see that I still go to her shop and buy from her, but that hasn't changed her personality one iota. I imagine it's no fun running a fish store, especially considering the size of hers. But it's not much fun being a public servant either- if I'm expected to be kind to people, she is as well, especially if she wants to make sales. How is it irrational to expect a woman who claims to have 25 years of SW experience to be able to identify creatures from SW sources?? Especially something so common as a ball anemone which is often found on rocks?? I am well aware nobody is perfect. What I don't understand, is why you felt the need to defend someone MONTHS after this was posted, who's never been kind to me since I started my SW tanks? Nobody may be perfect but it's not out of line for me as her customer to expect her to be kind when I show up there to spend money in her store.

• Like 3
StinkyBunny
On 5/29/2019 at 10:26 AM, mcarroll said:

I have a clue as to how to run one and I see the shit these retards that I sell to do on the wholesale side of the business. Hire people with 1/2 a fukn brain to sell for you and you won't get your ass ripped out on forums, it's that simple. As for online retailers selling to anyone. How the hell are we supposed to know your level of expertise? Do you want to have to take a quiz every time you buy something? I won't knowingly sell to someone who I think doesn't have a clue, but at the end of the day we retailers are in it to make a living, it's that simple. Quite a few are in it to make a quick buck and could give 2 tin shits as to what happens to that animal when it walks out that door.

And yes Holly, those are Corynactis ball anemones, good luck keeping them alive.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
ECLS Reefer
3 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

I have a clue as to how to run one and I see the shit these retards that I sell to do on the wholesale side of the business. Hire people with 1/2 a fukn brain to sell for you and you won't get your ass ripped out on forums, it's that simple. As for online retailers selling to anyone. How the hell are we supposed to know your level of expertise? Do you want to have to take a quiz every time you buy something? I won't knowingly sell to someone who I think doesn't have a clue, but at the end of the day we retailers are in it to make a living, it's that simple. Quite a few are in it to make a quick buck and could give 2 tin shits as to what happens to that animal when it walks out that door.

And yes Holly, those are Corynactis ball anemones, good luck keeping them alive.

Those silly things are thriving. So far the only thing in the tank that regularly reproduces and spreads. There's a ton of them next to my little favia--I'm waiting for the day it puts an end to that. 

I've always maintained that the LFS witch has good stock, and that she seems to know how to care for them. And I would lay odds that she DOES know what a ball anemone is and how to identify it. What I suspect more is that she just doesn't like me, and that leads to not wanting to help me, not wanting to identify things for me, and not being able to give advice without talking to me like I'm an idiot. She also seems to be much kinder to men than women, if watching her talk to my husband and other male customers is any indication. At any rate, I still use her store, because it's just too convenient not to, and I can count on the animals and corals being healthy. It's just a trial knowing I have to deal with such an unpleasant salesperson.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Quite a few are in it to make a quick buck and could give 2 tin shits as to what happens to that animal when it walks out that door.

Thank goodness for the altruistic online vendors out there all geniuses and nice as a sunny day all the while caring 100%-SO-MUCH about what you do before and after clicking the buy button.

Gimme a break, Stinky.

9 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Those silly things are thriving. So far the only thing in the tank that regularly reproduces and spreads. There's a ton of them next to my little favia--I'm waiting for the day it puts an end to that. 

I've always maintained that the LFS witch has good stock, and that she seems to know how to care for them. And I would lay odds that she DOES know what a ball anemone is and how to identify it. What I suspect more is that she just doesn't like me, and that leads to not wanting to help me, not wanting to identify things for me, and not being able to give advice without talking to me like I'm an idiot. She also seems to be much kinder to men than women, if watching her talk to my husband and other male customers is any indication. At any rate, I still use her store, because it's just too convenient not to, and I can count on the animals and corals being healthy. It's just a trial knowing I have to deal with such an unpleasant salesperson.

Thankfully you only have to buy her products and not her personality!  :biggrin:

The quality of the merchandise (and being able to see it before buying) is really the bottom line.  If the person doing the sale isn't fun to deal with, there are always books to get more/better information from.

Just for fun, anyone who's up for the name/ID challenge sans smart remarks:

Spoiler

Tell me how many articles about this anemone (and not different anemones) you find under the term "ball anemone" on this search:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C47&q="ball+anemone"&btnG=

I didn't see any on a quick glance.  (Tho there appear to be other anemone that go by that common name.) 

Literally zero articles that show up under "ball tip anemone".

Interestingly, these are mushroom corals from the Corallimorpharia family - not anemones, which are Hexacorallia.

Names get thrown around like they aren't important, but they really are when it comes down to learning anything.  Common names can be very misleading.

There are plenty of articles on these critters under the proper naming:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C47&q=Corynactis+&btnG=

It might be interesting to try and confirm the actual species you have via that search. 

There's tons of good info in that search if you're interested in these critters.

vegasgundog

I generally rate my local fish stores by different degrees based on knowledge, cleanliness, health of live stock etc. I generally support lfs before online sales when I can. One I'll never(almost) buy fish from but have the best coral selection. Another has the best knowledge but higher prices on and fewer corals. Another is just to dam far unless im that end of the valley on other ventures. I always verify against liveaquaria.com on fish.

ECLS Reefer
6 hours ago, vegasgundog said:

I generally rate my local fish stores by different degrees based on knowledge, cleanliness, health of live stock etc. I generally support lfs before online sales when I can. One I'll never(almost) buy fish from but have the best coral selection. Another has the best knowledge but higher prices on and fewer corals. Another is just to dam far unless im that end of the valley on other ventures. I always verify against liveaquaria.com on fish.

Most around where I am in Houston are too far for convenience. I’m talking- visiting the next closest reputable store would cost me at least three good hours traffic time and shopping. I don’t have that kind of time to spare. I love LiveAquaria. They haven’t done me wrong yet, and I usually get enough to qualify for free shipping. But for emergencies or just because I can run down the street to the notsofriendly LFS.

• Like 1
vegasgundog

I'm lucky, but I can't believe in the middle of a desert reef keeping is doo popular. Bulk reef supply has some of the greatest customer service. I'll shop Marine Depot to. 

• Like 1