ReefCleaners.org

Lighting help no idea what to do

Dannybrake

8 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Thanks!  It sucked I had to take it down when I moved.  I might start it back up later down the road.

I bet it sucked ! .. You don't have a tank set up now ? U better get on it and set one up !! .. 

What would you do if u were me with the lighting ? 

Thrassian Atoll
9 hours ago, Dannybrake said:

I bet it sucked ! .. You don't have a tank set up now ? U better get on it and set one up !! .. 

What would you do if u were me with the lighting ? 

I set my IM 25 gallon lagoon back up.  I have a couple tanks.  

It really depends on your budget.  In all honesty, if it were me, I would be looking for an all in one tank  that will fit in that spot and look good before I spend money on a light for that tank.  

29 minutes ago, TILTON said:

I set my IM 25 gallon lagoon back up.  I have a couple tanks.  

It really depends on your budget.  In all honesty, if it were me, I would be looking for an all in one tank  that will fit in that spot and look good before I spend money on a light for that tank.  

Thats really the only size tank that will fit nice there and I will always run into the same lighting hight problems. I already had that tank heater and filter so I figured I would use that. great now I'm even more unsure lol

Thrassian Atoll
2 hours ago, Dannybrake said:

Thats really the only size tank that will fit nice there and I will always run into the same lighting hight problems. I already had that tank heater and filter so I figured I would use that. great now I'm even more unsure lol

It’s just a regular 20 gallon right?  What are you using for filtration?  

If it was me, I would put a 13.5 Evo tank there or a IM Fusion 20 and run a nanobox duo light.  

I still think the orbit is the best idea due to space allowance.

A evo 13.5 would have been great. Closed system so no real salt spray issues, comes with lights, aio. 

8 hours ago, TILTON said:

It’s just a regular 20 gallon right?  What are you using for filtration?  

If it was me, I would put a 13.5 Evo tank there or a IM Fusion 20 and run a nanobox duo light.  

Yea regular 20.

its an aqua clear 50 with sponge on bottom and seachem matrix filled to top.

got 20 pounds of dry sand and rock.

im using everything I had from an old freshwater set up, that’s why I figured I had everything I’d just buy the rock, sand and lights and I’m good to go 

8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I still think the orbit is the best idea due to space allowance.

A evo 13.5 would have been great. Closed system so no real salt spray issues, comes with lights, aio. 

Your right .. but the tank is already up and running and I already had everything free .  Yea I guess that’s what I’ll do . Maybe I’ll start with one and see how it goes and if I need to add something else I can 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dannybrake said:

Yea regular 20.

its an aqua clear 50 with sponge on bottom and seachem matrix filled to top.

got 20 pounds of dry sand and rock.

im using everything I had from an old freshwater set up, that’s why I figured I had everything I’d just buy the rock, sand and lights and I’m good to go 

You’ll want to get rid of the sponge. Impossible to clean thoroughly and eventually they become nitrate factories. I actually added one back into my 14g to raise my nitrates, and it’s slowly starting to have a positive effect. Once I get my levels back up though, I’ll be pulling it out.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

You’ll want to get rid of the sponge. Impossible to clean thoroughly and eventually they become nitrate factories. I actually added one back into my 14g to raise my nitrates, and it’s slowly starting to have a positive effect. Once I get my levels back up though, I’ll be pulling it out.

When I first started yrs ago, I used a sponge. Started having higher nutrients than I wanted, especially those days when 0 was considered best 

Everyone advised it was the sponge.

They were right. I have never used them again and advise against it unless it's a fish only no liverock tank.

3 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Yeah I figured , the tank is still cycling so I’ll keep it in till it’s finished then take it out . Was thinking of putting some chemblue in after a few months .

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

When I first started yrs ago, I used a sponge. Started having higher nutrients than I wanted, especially those days when 0 was considered best 

Everyone advised it was the sponge.

They were right. I have never used them again and advise against it unless it's a fish only no liverock tank.

Thanks for the input .i will definitely take it out after my cycle. So I’ll keep the seachem matrix in , what else do u recommend keeping in 

9 hours ago, Dannybrake said:

Thanks for the input .i will definitely take it out after my cycle. So I’ll keep the seachem matrix in , what else do u recommend keeping in 

You will want to wash the sponge frequently during a cycle. It will get full.

I like to run filter floss, purigen, and a good carbon. 

Some like to use floss and chemipure, some just floss, some nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would work fine for a 20 high. The reef bright strip cant be controlled by the current controller. I have it on a seperate timer. It shuts off as the current system goes into sunset mode.